Fast Offerings Payment Refund?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tribrac

Fast Offerings Payment Refund?

Post by tribrac »

Our Unit received a check from a service provider stating that it was a refund of payments our Unit had paid for services on behalf of a member (through Fast Offerings). The provider had received payment from another source that covered all of the expenses.

Should these refunded monies be entered as a Donation to the Fast Offerings in the name of the Provider or is there another way to account for the refund and still have the monies return to our Fast Offering budget?
Gary_Miller

Re: Fast Offerings Payment Refund?

Post by Gary_Miller »

I would add a donor titled "Fast Offering Returns/Refunds" and enter it under that donor name.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It may be worth calling Local Unit Support and see how the want it done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bastahmer

Post by bastahmer »

I would go along with both of the other replies, but the one thing I would not do is put it in under the name of the business. That is because this is not a donation (there is no charitable intent), it is a business transaction for them.
tribrac

Post by tribrac »

I thought I had better return and report what I learned by calling Support.

After explaining the situation and that I had entered the check as a F.O. I was put on hold while the sister looked it up, then on hold again while she escalated the question to her supervisor.

Finally she came back to tell me that it was correct to enter it as a F.O. Donation. She offered no explanation.
pfrazier71

Post by pfrazier71 »

I have a similar issue for a member needing to repay a fast offering amount from funds that never cleared and found this similar post:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7234

Also, called the service center and they told me the same thing as the post, namely to deposit the check with the Ward as the donor and notate on the slip why it is being done.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”