Chrome Aw, Snap!

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
marcporter

Chrome Aw, Snap!

Post by marcporter »

I had a member of our ward call and ask for some help with searching on LDS.org. Everytime she did a search, she got an "Aw, Snap!" error from Google Chrome. I did a teamviewer session and started my troubleshooting. I did a malware scan, disabled all of the chrome extensions. I deleted her chrome profile, and created a new chrome user profile. I uninstalled chrome, removed the profile folders, then reinstalled chrome.

None of this solved the problem, everytime she typed in her search terms on the top of the site, chrome errored out. I decided I better test it on my computer. I opened up chrome on my PC and I typed in the search term "test" and the site returned results just fine. So I thought I would try what she was doing, I returned to the lds.org homepage and typed in her exact search terms, "justification sanctification" and guess what, I get the Aw, Snap! error on my PC too. I know this is going to sound strange, but if I search for the shorter version of either of those words, it works. I can search for "justify" or "sanctify" but if I search for "Justification" or "Sanctification" google chrome once again returns the "Aw, Snap!" error.

So I was wondering if someone else can test it and see if they get the same results. I've tried 3 computers running Chrome, all with the same results.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Chrome Aw, Snap!

Post by russellhltn »

I'm seeing the same thing in Chrome. IE10 works fine.

It appears Chrome does load the page, as you can view the source. But it's having a problem rendering it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. I've submitted feedback on the homepage. I'll post a reply when I hear back from someone.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

What Chrome versions are you running? I am not getting an error searching for "justification sanctification" with Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It just updated itself: 26.0.1410.43 m

Still happening.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Doh, sorry. Been busy with a few releases so haven't dropped by to check on things.

This has now been fixed with the release of our brand new search.

It was actually something Chrome updated as our code didn't change, but whatever.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

Wow! What a big improvement. I love the new search results, so much more relevant. And yes, the issues with Chrome have been resolved too!

Return to “Main Church Website”