Webcast Video Switching - Multi-Camera setup questions

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rogerscr

Webcast Video Switching - Multi-Camera setup questions

Post by rogerscr »

I see many of you use multiple cameras to get the general conference look. What options are there for switching video inputs for webcasts? I see the Webcast Communicator has multiple video inputs, can you switch them on the fly? How about using the Webcast software, can you change cameras in software as you go?

If you go for separate video switching, what do you use? I think the ideal would be the Sony BRS200 but $10k is a bit steep. It integrates the PTZ control and video switching with a remote control board. What other kind of video mixers do you use? Simple A/V selector switch from a TV ($20)?

If you get the mounted Sony camera, what do you use for PTZ control, IR remote, Software control or Sony RMBR300?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Webcast Video Switching - Multi-Camera setup questions

Post by Mikerowaved »

rogerscr wrote:I see many of you use multiple cameras to get the general conference look. What options are there for switching video inputs for webcasts? I see the Webcast Communicator has multiple video inputs, can you switch them on the fly? How about using the Webcast software, can you change cameras in software as you go?
The Webcast Communicator can't switch video inputs after a webcast is started, and the Webcast Software doesn't do it very gracefully. It's been a while since I tested it, but I believe it can take from a few seconds up to like 20 seconds to bring up the other video source. Not very pleasing to the other side.
rogerscr wrote:If you go for separate video switching, what do you use? I think the ideal would be the Sony BRS200 but $10k is a bit steep. It integrates the PTZ control and video switching with a remote control board. What other kind of video mixers do you use? Simple A/V selector switch from a TV ($20)?
The problem with a simple A/B video switch is the different cameras will usually have different sync pulse timings and neither the webcast box or webcast software can handle abrupt sync changes gracefully. To do this, you need a video mixer. One such mixer that has gained popularity in some stakes is the Videonics MX-1. To get a feel for what it can do, you might want to review the Videonics MX-1 Video Mixer Tips and Tricks thread.
rogerscr wrote:If you get the mounted Sony camera, what do you use for PTZ control, IR remote, Software control or Sony RMBR300?
PTZ control of the Sony camera is a different topic for discussion, so I would encourage you to read existing threads on the subject first, such as, Sony EVI-D70 Camera Control, and either post any questions you may have there, or start a new thread on PTZ control.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

A couple of observations from what we've done

The new meetinghouse designs outside the Mormon Corridor have a video switch, that does a pretty good job, but it is still more like and A/B. The PTZ that is mounted in the chapel is controlled through IR repeaters into the tech closet....

In the first couple that I did mostly on my own, I used an A/B switch that I had from my Home Theater system. Not too bad.. didn't disturb many at all...

We've landed on renting a Roland VR-3 from a local company for about $150 - we get it for Sat/Sunday and only pay for Sunday. It is fantastic, provides us multiple cameras, overlay of text/names - switching to pictures, or scripture references, etc... during the broadcast Anything we can do.

We figured the rental price will not sink us into a device we'll be forced to continue to use even if technology updates and the device is fantastic.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rogerscr

Post by rogerscr »

I didn't know they were installing cameras in new buildings, too bad ours is about 10 years old. I saw this post recently http://myadventuresintucson.blogspot.co ... lding.html and thought it was a special case for cameras. Clearly their budget was quite a bit larger than most though.

I saw some screen shots on this forum and wondered where the lower third names were coming from. I had wondered if it was the text feed to the Sony camera or what. Clearly it was the mixing board since there was 2 lines of text.

Thanks for the feeback on switches so far!
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

We've landed on renting a Roland VR-3 from a local company for about $150
Or you could purchase a good used Videonics MX-1 and audio mixer for the price of two rentals...

It has 4 video inputs (composite and S-Video, built-in time base corrector, video synchronizer and chroma-key for superimposing lower-thirds graphics.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rogerscr wrote:I didn't know they were installing cameras in new buildings, too bad ours is about 10 years old. I saw this post recently http://myadventuresintucson.blogspot.co ... lding.html and thought it was a special case for cameras. Clearly their budget was quite a bit larger than most though.
Be still my heart! Could we possibly be getting anything like that in our new stake center?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

That Stake Center in Abu Dhabi is amazing looking.... It isn't that far from a Data Center I spent several weeks getting up and running, wish it had been around when I was out there...

But, Lajackson, that is not what the new buildings have --> in fact, the tech closet is just really that... a pass-through between the YW room and the hallway, barely enough room to fit a single rack.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

michaelfish wrote:
We've landed on renting a Roland VR-3 from a local company for about $150
Or you could purchase a good used Videonics MX-1 and audio mixer for the price of two rentals...

It has 4 video inputs (composite and S-Video, built-in time base corrector, video synchronizer and chroma-key for superimposing lower-thirds graphics.
That means converting a computer signal to Composite or S-Video right? That PC-In SVGA is just very, very nice to have, better than converters we used by far - Also the 4 input view on the board really helps in communication between camera operators and the guy running the board. They can get an angle, talk about the angle/shot and then switch to it.... you could do that with a bunch of extra monitors, etc.. but reference my other post.... we don't have anywhere to really setup.... except a hallway.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Instead of using a computer (VGA to video scan converter required) for lower thirds graphics, iPads output regular composite video.

Has anyone considered using an iPad for the hymn graphics?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”