Duplicate Callings showing on LDS.org - Not in MLS

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
ehuber

Duplicate Callings showing on LDS.org - Not in MLS

Post by ehuber »

I recently went through MLS and did a clean up of callings that had not been updated in a while. In trying to clean up some of the callings, I noticed a few duplicates that show up under the Leader/Clerk Resources - Callings by Organization list (as well as the LDS Tools app for the iPad), but they are not showing up in MLS. Since MLS is the only place I can update callings, how do I delete these duplicates?

Also, during this clean-up process, I used the Custom Calling Review to fix a lot of callings that were originally setup as custom callings, but now there are standard callings available (or perhaps the standard callings were always available and just not used). Anyway, I moved everyone - where possible - to a standard calling. But how do I get rid of the old custom callings from the lookup list - so they don't get accidentally reused. There are some custom callings we have in the list that are named exactly as the standard one - so someone just typing in the name could potentially use the wrong one.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Duplicate Callings showing on LDS.org - Not in MLS

Post by jonesrk »

ehuber wrote:I recently went through MLS and did a clean up of callings that had not been updated in a while. In trying to clean up some of the callings, I noticed a few duplicates that show up under the Leader/Clerk Resources - Callings by Organization list (as well as the LDS Tools app for the iPad), but they are not showing up in MLS. Since MLS is the only place I can update callings, how do I delete these duplicates?
Follow the instructions for Correcting duplicate or missing callings.
ehuber wrote: Also, during this clean-up process, I used the Custom Calling Review to fix a lot of callings that were originally setup as custom callings, but now there are standard callings available (or perhaps the standard callings were always available and just not used). Anyway, I moved everyone - where possible - to a standard calling. But how do I get rid of the old custom callings from the lookup list - so they don't get accidentally reused. There are some custom callings we have in the list that are named exactly as the standard one - so someone just typing in the name could potentially use the wrong one.
On the oganization page (e.g. High Priests) there is a group on the right call custom positions. That has the list and you can remove them from there.
brcall

Post by brcall »

I am using MLS 3.5.1_21247 and have the same symptom as the original poster. I followed the instructions to request a unit refresh. After 30 minutes my MLS downloaded a new membership record file from Church headquarters and MLS printed the report stating so. However I still can't see the duplicate callings in my MLS and I still see them at LDS.org. Does anyone have anything else I can try? I have gone through those motions twice now with no results.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Waiting 30 minutes may not be long enough. Do another send/receive after a few hours.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ehuber

Post by ehuber »

I just thought I would let this thread know that it didn't work for me either - even after waiting more than a day. I did see the notice on the update that callings were getting refreshed/updated (waiting some time after the refresh request), but when I went into the callings list on MLS, the two duplicates that were showing on the LDS.org site were not there.

Please let me know if anyone gets this figured out. Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ehuber wrote:but when I went into the callings list on MLS, the two duplicates that were showing on the LDS.org site were not there.
Is there anyone in MLS with that position? If so, it may help to delete the position completely (to create a "hole" for the position to load from CDOL) and then do another unit refresh.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brcall

Post by brcall »

Yes, there are two on CDOL and one in MLS. I'll give it a try when I get a chance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brcall wrote:Yes, there are two on CDOL and one in MLS.
OK, that explains it. Some callings can only have one person, so you won't have both calling in MLS at the same time.

The basic idea is delete, send/receive, check cdol, unit refresh, repeat, until all the wrong stuff is gone, even if you have to take out good stuff in the process. Only once all the wrong stuff is gone from CDOL do you add in the current stuff.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ehuber

Post by ehuber »

Okay - I just wanted to get back and say I finally worked. I basically did what the last post said. I went into MLS and found the position (Primary Teacher) that was showing just once in MLS and twice on LDS.org. I copied the information (sustain date, set apart status) on a piece of paper and then deleted the person from the calling in MLS. I did a send/receive and then went and checked LDS.org. After a few minutes, the original and duplicate were gone on LDS.org. I then did a unit refresh request. I waited for about an hour and then did a send/receive again. This time the position came back into MLS and is only showing up once on LDS.org. (Weird that I didn't have to add the position back manually - which is what I expected I would have to do). Anyway, hopefully everything is good now.
brcall

Post by brcall »

I finally got some time on the computer at the church and was able to try again. I printed the callings at lds.org and on MLS for my records, deleted the callings that were single in MLS and double on lds.org. I then requested the refresh and waited a while. After the refresh I had a single calling in both places. Thanks for your help.

Is the cause of duplicate callings on lds.org known? I have some theories, but I'd like to test and prove them if it is unknown.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”