Marking Capabilities

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
jeffvand

Marking Capabilities

Post by jeffvand »

I have been thinking about this for a VERY long time. I love the new feature that allows you to make a specific number of passages using cookies, but I would love to use the online scriptures as my primary resource. A resource I could access from anywhere I have connectivity with all my markings. I've tried several Firefox extensions and comment programs, but none seem to do what I am looking for.

For those who have used MarkMyScriptures... that is perfect. Notes, underlining, highlighting... perfect! Can we put that online somewhere?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I think that would be a great idea as well. I'll pass it along.

Tom
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

I'll definitely second that.
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

I think we can take it even farther than that.

Make it so you can add links from the scriptures back into General Conference and other documents.

Only one of the handheld options allows you to do this---Mobipocket. But mobipocket is also a bit clunky.

It would be nice to be able to annotate, highlight, and link.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Make links back into General Conference, as a church wide fotenote or as a personal annotation? I think it would be great to have both. The fotenotes we have were made to fit on the written page, but with the internet does that really matter? It would be nice to have each scripture "footnte" have references the Conference Talks that it was used in.
- David
KGBurton

Marking the scriptures

Post by KGBurton »

jeffvand wrote:I have been thinking about this for a VERY long time. I love the new feature that allows you to make a specific number of passages using cookies, but I would love to use the online scriptures as my primary resource. A resource I could access from anywhere I have connectivity with all my markings. I've tried several Firefox extensions and comment programs, but none seem to do what I am looking for.

For those who have used MarkMyScriptures... that is perfect. Notes, underlining, highlighting... perfect! Can we put that online somewhere?
And to other sources in the Church library. And to other resources in the internet (jewish old testament commentaries, maps, google earth, art, clip art, music). I'm not sure how the links would be rated or qualified as some would surely be objectionable. Perhaps a community flag for official, authoritative but non official, interesting, speculative, way out. And a star system to rate the link.

And maybe a community comment area for scriptural discussion?
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

junkman1989 wrote:And to other sources in the Church library. And to other resources in the internet (jewish old testament commentaries, maps, google earth, art, clip art, music). I'm not sure how the links would be rated or qualified as some would surely be objectionable. Perhaps a community flag for official, authoritative but non official, interesting, speculative, way out. And a star system to rate the link.

And maybe a community comment area for scriptural discussion?
Or go the social network route. Let you see comments from friends and friends see your comments.

Maybe have some global ones that are authoritative.
--josh
garylm-p40

Post by garylm-p40 »

josh wrote:Let you see comments from friends and friends see your comments.
My personal set of scriptures is full of annotations that I have written in the margins. Some notes have come from Sunday School classes and others from talks I have heard or articles I have read. But the notes that are most precious to me are the ones that have come from personal scripture study and from really digging into a topic. Unfortunately, I have found that such notes are usually for me alone and are usually not received well when shared unless the Spirit has prompted me to share.

I'm always afraid that I might lose my scriptures, especially when I put them in checked baggage on an airline flight. I wish there was a way of storing all of my annotations in a computer file. I guess that would be the personal journal that I'm supposed to be keeping. But in paper form, that could get lost as well.

I'm thinking there ought to be a software solution that merges the functions of a personal journal with the electronic scriptures.

But I'm also saying that your marked scriptures could be a highly personal thing and a highly individualized thing, and they ought to be kept private, as you would a personal journal, except when prompted by the Spirit to share.
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

Yeah, I guess I thought of the social annotation as more of a "family bible" thing. Not meant for a group much outside your family, kind of like a journal. Kind of like Adam's Book of Remembrance from Moses 6:5:

5 And a book of remembrance was kept, in the which was recorded, in the language of Adam, for it was given unto as many as called upon God to write by the spirit of inspiration;
--josh
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I see the potential for a solution that handles both. The solution can have either different copies of scriptures, or one set of scriptures and you have different levels of tagging (personal, shared, global, etc.). That way you can have a personal set of notes, while also having some shared between you and your family or friend. Maybe the global sharing could become argumentative and controversial. But I do think it would be neat to start a scripture study with a buddy where you have a topic of focus or something.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”