adding a private annotation to a membership record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thehizzy

adding a private annotation to a membership record

Post by thehizzy »

Hi, I have been asked to add a private note/annotation by the Bishop (which is about a small paragraph in length) to a ward member's record. I at first thought custom reports would be the way to go but that might not be the correct location for something like this. Also, due to the private nature of this information, I want to make sure I add it to the correct location.
eblood66

Re: adding a private annotation to a membership record

Post by eblood66 »

thehizzy wrote:Hi, I have been asked to add a private note/annotation by the Bishop (which is about a small paragraph in length) to a ward member's record. I at first thought custom reports would be the way to go but that might not be the correct location for something like this. Also, due to the private nature of this information, I want to make sure I add it to the correct location.
What is the purpose for adding the note?

If the bishop wants something that will be seen when the record is moved to another ward then there is no way to do that. The best that can be done is to mark the 'Contact Prior Bishop' option when moving the record or by putting a move restriction on the record (if another unit may request the record).

If the bishop just wants something to assist his own memory, I'd recommend he either use paper notes that are locked up somewhere or a password protected document stored on a thumb drive that is locked up.

There really isn't anywhere to put such notes in MLS. Custom fields only hold about 100 characters or so. And, besides, I'm pretty sure that assistant clerks and even auxiliary or quorum leaders and secretaries can see custom fields which would probably make them inappropriate in that regard as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If this is the result of a Disciplinary Council, that information may need to be submitted to the church via the proper forms or clerk tools - not via MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Annotations don't always need to be a result of a Disciplinary Council for specific and narrow reasons, but must be requested by the Bishop AND the Stake President to Church Headquarters. See handbook 1 section 6.13.4 second to last paragraph.
thehizzy

Post by thehizzy »

Thank you for your replies. This annotation is being requested by the Bishop and the Stake President. In fact, Salt Lake is asking the Stake President why it has not been done. So, in short, many "higher ups" are asking for it. Without too much detail, this individual performed certain inappropriate acts on their mission and has since gone through the necessary repentance steps. However, it is being asked to add a small note/annotation to this individuals record so that future Bishops may be aware of the past transgression and more appropriately continue to guide and council this member if needs be. At least that is my understanding of it. Is this something that I would add under "other resources", "confidential reports and forms", "confidential membership information"? If so, even with the Bishop logged in to MLS, we could not access this field as we got a "report unavailable, there are no members in your ward that qualify for this report". Again, any help/guidance on this is much appreciated.

PS. I am a new Ward Clerk, is there a number for that I could call Salt Lake as well as use these forums?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thehizzy wrote:PS. I am a new Ward Clerk, is there a number for that I could call Salt Lake as well as use these forums?
See if this helps: Administrative office

Note that because you are a ward clerk, you'll be asked to check with the stake clerk first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

thehizzy wrote:Salt Lake is asking the Stake President why it has not been done.
Again, any help/guidance on this is much appreciated.
The stake president should write a letter to Confidential Records in the Membership Department stating the recommendation of the bishop and stake president. When they receive the letter, they will add the annotation to the record. You cannot add it.

Return to “Membership Help”