Library Overload

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
farwest

Library Overload

Post by farwest »

Librarian asked me today what they need to keep. They have old film strip players, old record players 45 rpm for primary, condensed version of General Conference for many years, manuals that are no longer used for YM and YW. They took the past manuals for presidents of the church and put them out for members to take. What is the policy for old media players and materials that are not longer needed. What are they do with it all?
bsummie

Re: Library Overload

Post by bsummie »

We're going through a library clean out now, see https://www.lds.org/callings/sunday-sch ... se-library. It tells you how and what to discard, also we have out librarian taking inventory and compare it to what we the church stocks a new library with.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Just a couple of clicks away from that page there's this one... https://www.lds.org/callings/sunday-sch ... t?lang=eng ...and it's painfully outdated. I mean, it mentions TV/VCR combo machines, tells us that the maximum size for a TV is 25 inches, lists audiocassettes that should be in the library, mentions that each library may have an overhead (transparency) projector, etc.. And I'm not sure if the numbers it references in the Church Materials Catalog are correct, especially when it comes to "Videos."
bsummie

Post by bsummie »

Ya I think it's pretty outdated, but at least gave us a starting point. We had 2 typewriters and an old roll film projector.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Rather than sit back and wait for someone else to do something, I submitted the following, very blunt "feedback" to the web site. I invite others to also submit feedback.
Please take down the "Library Start-up Kit" web page and re-write it from scratch. It is painfully outdated. The page has already caused some contention among those who believe we can't buy a new 32" TV for our meetinghouse library because it goes against the recommendations on this web page. Furthermore, the page references video tapes and audio tapes that are no longer available, overhead transparency projectors, VCRs, TV/VCR combo machines and other items that are completely outdated for today's library needs.

This web page is so out of date that it is causing more problems than it is solving. Delete it immediately and post a re-written version in due time.
farwest

Post by farwest »

Amen
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

jtsummie wrote:Ya I think it's pretty outdated, but at least gave us a starting point.
Thank you all for the feedback. We are working to make contact with the page owner to begin discussions on updating the information.

Return to “General Discussions”