How to tell which threads need attention and which are resolved?

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

RitcheyMT

How to tell which threads need attention and which are resolved?

Post by RitcheyMT »

A problem I have with this forum is that it is hard to tell which threads/ideas/cases are resolved, so I reread threads constantly to make sure we're not ignoring anyone. I realize we can close or lock a thread, and I do this when it seems like a solution was provided and the thread can't possibly require further discussion. I don't think, however, that normal users can close threads, which is too bad: If I'm a normal user and someone answered my question, I should be able to close the thread. Maybe in our own instance someday we can set the system such that regular users can indeed close threads.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Tom W...?

Can the software currently be configured this way?
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

I would agree. Can threads be moved to another forum? Can the thread icon be changed? (Just trying to think of alternatives.)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I have it so that regular users cannot close threads. The reasons are obvious. We would have people closing threads before the discussion has ended. So because user #1 who opened the thread closed it does not mean that user #2 or #3 who are using the thread as a way to get their answers fulfilled would want it closed. You can imagine that if you asked a question and then 1 person chimed in with an answer and you then closed it, that would prevent someone else from easily asking a clarifying question.

There are ways to manage the conversations in threads. One way is to subscribe the the thread so that you get email notifications on new posts. The other is to just read the new posts. Both are easy to do on this software. The last option is to shoot me or a moderator a PM and ask us to close a thread for you if it really is that important to close it.

Tom

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”