Shared calendar for Cub Scouts in two wards

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
AileneRHerrick

Shared calendar for Cub Scouts in two wards

Post by AileneRHerrick »

aarondesk wrote:We currently have two wards in our building, and I have been tasked with creating a joint calendar that both wards share so we can ensure that the building is not double-booked. Currently we our ward calendar and they have theirs.
We need a shared calendar for two wards for another reason. Our wards sometimes combine for activities. For an occasional adult activity, it's not a problem, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do for Cub Scouts.

The Cub Scouts in our building are from both Ward A and Ward B. So there are Cub Scout families in both wards.

The Wolf Scout Leaders are from Ward A.
The Bear Scout Leaders are from Ward B.
The Webelos Leaders are from Ward A.
The Cub Master Leaders are from Ward B.

Thus, each leader could add things to their calendar in their own ward, and reserve the building, but the cub scout families that aren't in the ward of the leader won't be able to see activities.

Are there future plans for calendars that can be seen by all wards in the same building?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Building Calendar for Two Wards

Post by russellhltn »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Are there future plans for calendars that can be seen by all wards in the same building?
Not that we've been made aware of. And the church usually doesn't give a time-line of future changes.

You'll have to find a work around. I'd suggest that the events be communicated to the other ward for them to place on their calendar. However, they cannot (and should not) attempt to reserve the building since the first ward has already done that.

The only other option is to have the stake create a calendar for the two wards to share. But that's likely to be messy as the whole stake can see it and there's no way to set editors by ward calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Shared calendar for Cub Scouts in two wards

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I split this discussion from the original topic, since it deals with a different issue]
AileneRHerrick wrote:...each leader could add things to their calendar in their own ward, and reserve the building, but the cub scout families that aren't in the ward of the leader won't be able to see activities.

Are there future plans for calendars that can be seen by all wards in the same building?
I don't know the answer to that question, but the recommendation for this situation with the current calendar is to use a stake calendar; that's the only kind of calendar visible to more than one ward.

Yes, it then becomes visible to all the wards in the stake, but you can give it a name that will make it interesting to only the wards involved (e.g., "CV/PM Cub Scouts" for the calendar shared by the Canyon View and Pine Meadows Wards). And it's true that you can't connect editor rights to ward callings, but you can still give rights to people by name; it's a bit of a maintenance hassle, but not that big of a deal. This approach allows the events to reserve the building easily. I'd say it's your best approach for this situation.
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote: ... the recommendation for this situation with the current calendar is to use a stake calendar; that's the only kind of calendar visible to more than one ward.
This becomes more complicated when you share a scouting unit with a ward in a different stake that also shares your building, since they can't see the shared stake calendar...they can only see the booked resource status. And as others have pointed out, non-members can't access the calendar, either. It's just the way it is. Maybe some day they'll change it.
dpenrod75

Post by dpenrod75 »

Not sure if this is allowed, but couldn't you just sync your ward calendar to a google calendar and then share the google calendar with anyone you want? :confused:

I guess that would essentially be the same as sharing your sync link with others, which I think isn't allowed. Not sure the reasoning behind that, but it is what it is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dpenrod75 wrote:I guess that would essentially be the same as sharing your sync link with others,
Similar enough to be a concern.

dpenrod75 wrote:which I think isn't allowed.
Correct. The instructions from the calendar sync screen says "This URL is provided for your own personal use. It should not be shared with anyone else."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”