Unable to remove custom calling (and member called to it)

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
harrisongrim

Unable to remove custom calling (and member called to it)

Post by harrisongrim »

We have a custom position in our Relief Society (Fellowship Chair), and there is also a sister who was called to that position, but for some reason the position shows up in black type (not blue; unable to click on it) and there is no option to remove the calling. I have tried deleting the custom position from the custom positions list and adding it again, but that has not eliminated this line from the Relief Society calling list.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Harrison
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unable to remove custom calling (and member called to it

Post by russellhltn »

Where are you looking? In MLS or on-line?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

harrisongrim wrote:We have a custom position in our Relief Society (Fellowship Chair), and there is also a sister who was called to that position, but for some reason the position shows up in black type (not blue; unable to click on it) and there is no option to remove the calling. I have tried deleting the custom position from the custom positions list and adding it again, but that has not eliminated this line from the Relief Society calling list.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Harrison
I believe this was caused during a short period of time when MLS and CDOL were interpreting parts of custom positions differently. The way to get it cleaned up is outlined in Correcting duplicate or missing callings.
Braden89

Re: Unable to remove custom calling

Post by Braden89 »

We have had a similar problem for quite some time that took effect after an MLS update. Some custom callings became unselectable (the black font in the attached picture highlighted with a red box) and unable to be removed (lack of remove option highlighted by a red box). The only way that this disappears has been when the member's records move out of the ward. The callings cannot be edited, the member cannot be removed from the calling, and the entire position cannot be removed either.

This also happens with some custom callings that have been made since the error first occurred months ago; we are not sure what triggered this to happen or what triggers the error to continue to occur because only some custom callings are affected. Perhaps its random, perhaps not.

This is quite troublesome because when a callings are printed, viewed on LDS.org, or viewed with the LDS Tools app it shows that some members have callings that they actually no longer have because this error prevents us from releasing/removing them from MLS records.

A request unit refresh was completed today according the instructions in the post above (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Callings#Corr ... g_callings) and the refresh was recorded as being successful, but no changes were made to these calling errors.

I have attached a screenshot that shows some of the calling errors I'm describing. We are using MLS 3.7.2 and it is regularly updated.

Any ideas?
Attachments
MLS Calling Error.JPG
Black boxes hide private info; red boxes highlight errors
(39.62 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe one way to deal with these problems is to use the tool for converting custom positions to standard ones. That requires admin permissions in MLS. Once converted to a standard position - any standard position, it can be edited.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This is a bug that we have identified that will be fixed in MLS 3.7.3. That update should be ready in the next few weeks.

In the short term, you should be able to correct the problem by requesting a unit data refresh. I'm not sure why a refresh didn't fix it for you. I'll run some tests to see if there is anything odd going on that may have been missed.
ptrent

Post by ptrent »

I am on MLS 3.7.3_23200 and this problem still exists.

If you request a unit refresh, do you lose other customer callings?

Thanks
Peter
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ptrent wrote:If you request a unit refresh, do you lose other customer callings?
Not if they're listed in CDOL. But you may lose anything not listed in CDOL. But you're going to lose it sooner or later anyway. So I'd do a print out and then do a refresh.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn is correct.

The issue occurs because MLS isn't able to correctly identify custom callings that belong to the unit. In this case, the underlying data makes it looks like the custom calling is in a different unit.

We have made some major changes to the logic used to identify which callings belong in the unit that should fix this in MLS 3.7.4.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”