Downloading Leadership Training Videos

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
kallgaier

Downloading Leadership Training Videos

Post by kallgaier »

I am trying to download the new Leadership Training videos, but am struggling (as are other members in our Ward). When I click on download, I am presented with three size options. Regardless of the size I choose, the file begins to download, and says it has completed successfully. However, when I view the video, it will stop somewhere in the middle (that location varies based on the video). The video playhead will continue to move, but the video is frozen. This is the case for all the videos except the intro.

I have tried re-downloading on several computers with the same results.

Any ideas?
gregwanderson

Re: Downloading Leadership Training Videos

Post by gregwanderson »

Same problem here. When the youth curriculum videos first became available (or at least when I first tried to download them) it was like this but after a few days it got better. I'm waiting for the Worldwide Training videos to get better but, after a week, I'm still having this problem. I would only add that when I begin the download it will tell me that the file is a certain size. Then it stops downloading before that size is reached... and the file doesn't play right all the way through either, as reported above.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I have run into several instances since last Fall where my browser told me a download from the Church was complete, and when I went to the file to play it, it stopped at a point (usually near the end) and played no further. I was playing back in QuickTime.

After I tried a few times, I noticed that at the point where the browser said the download was complete, the computer and network lights were still flashing on my router.

I found that if I waited after the browser said the download was complete until the router lights stopped flashing, I would have the complete file and it would play all the way through. This most recently happened as I was downloading the World Wide Leadership Training files.

This has only happened to me when downloading items from Church sites. I consistently get the complete file if I disregard the download window and give the computer enough time to completely download the file. (Which is not always easy to determine.)

I cannot explain it.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

The puzzling thing is that this problem happens with every one of the newest Worldwide Training videos but happens to none of, say, the Bible/Life of Jesus Christ videos. I would presume they're coming from the same servers. So what's wrong on that side of things?

In our case, our Bishop already received the DVD so I can "rip" that to a USB file... but I'd prefer to have the High-Definition version to choose from too, now that we have a new, nice, HD monitor at the church.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mrrad wrote:The puzzling thing is that this problem happens with every one of the newest Worldwide Training videos but happens to none of, say, the Bible/Life of Jesus Christ videos. I would presume they're coming from the same servers.
That is so true. I have not had a single problem with any of the Bible videos.

I also suspect there is something on the server end with the WWLT videos that is handling the download process in a different manner from the others.

Another note. I have to be very careful not to do anything else with the browser during the download. If there is any hint at all that I have lost interest (somehow electronically speaking), there is an immediate end of the download with a resulting Download Complete message.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Just last night the links became active to download "zipped" files for the Youth videos for April, May and June. I was able to download the April file but May and June give me the same issue as the Leadership video files we're talking about here (where the download suddenly stops early). Oddly enough, I can download individual video files through these pages...

http://www.lds.org/media-library/video/ ... y?lang=eng
http://www.lds.org/media-library/video/ ... e?lang=eng

Obviously, the zipped file is a different file but, again, why are some files (presumably coming from the same servers) okay while others are consistently troublesome? And why is this trouble so common among the newly-available files?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mrrad wrote:Just last night the links became active to download "zipped" files for the Youth videos for April, May and June. I was able to download the April file but May and June give me the same issue as the Leadership video files we're talking about here (where the download suddenly stops early).
Although I can duplicate the problem reported in this topic with the Leadership video files, I had no problems with the new youth videos for April, May, and June. Even though they are even bigger than the Leadership videos, the youth Zip files came down with no problem.
sruehlen@gmail.com

Post by sruehlen@gmail.com »

Has anyone found a solution for this problem? I have downloaded the videos on both of my computers, had someone else download them to their computer, and we are still experiencing the same problem. We are only having this problem with the Strengthening Families video series.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

aebrown wrote:Although I can duplicate the problem reported in this topic with the Leadership video files, I had no problems with the new youth videos for April, May, and June. Even though they are even bigger than the Leadership videos, the youth Zip files came down with no problem.
So, based on your report I tried again but the June zip file still gave me "zip." :(
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Good news. During the past 36 hours or so I've been able to download these files (large versions) without a problem. I even got that youth video zip file I wanted.

Return to “Main Church Website”