Meeting House Internet Responsibilites (FM Group, STS)

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
nognielsen

Meeting House Internet Responsibilites (FM Group, STS)

Post by nognielsen »

Sorry didn't know a better way to word the subject.

We need to upgrade some of the internet in our buildings from DSL to uverse, or cable, etc so that we can get enough speed to satisfy the bandwidth appetite of the members... and so that webcasts go more smoothly (some of our buildngs have only 1.5 download)

Reading the following link it shows the responsibilities are cloudy at best between the FM Group, STS, and stake. Does it just depend on the FM group?
https://www.lds.org/callings/melchized ... w?lang=eng

As I understand it,

Stake: pays monthly service fee for internet
FM Group: coordinates and pays for initial equipment ( does this include service upgrades and wireless access Points as well??)

Our FM group is pretty clueless about Technology, so any recommendation on what to do is going to come from me... So Do I just engage the PFR from the High Council and in turn the FM group to get changes made?

What have others' experiences been?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Meeting House Internet Responsibilites (FM Group, STS)

Post by russellhltn »

By in large, it's up to the FM group. FM pays for the Internet. Your best chance is to have the Stake President talk to FM. But FM works on a budget and they may not have any money to upgrade until the next budget cycle (assuming they agree that an upgrade should be made).

Now, one question I have to ask is why do you want faster? At this time the church is NOT supporting any streaming of video in situations other then stake conference (where you're expected to turn off everyone else's access. As for using video in class, you're to download it ahead of time. Even if you do upgrade your speed, the church will not promise that the servers will handle the load on Sunday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nognielsen

Post by nognielsen »

russellhltn wrote:By in large, it's up to the FM group. FM pays for the Internet. Your best chance is to have the Stake President talk to FM. But FM works on a budget and they may not have any money to upgrade until the next budget cycle (assuming they agree that an upgrade should be made).

Now, one question I have to ask is why do you want faster? At this time the church is NOT supporting any streaming of video in situations other then stake conference (where you're expected to turn off everyone else's access. As for using video in class, you're to download it ahead of time. Even if you do upgrade your speed, the church will not promise that the servers will handle the load on Sunday.
correct, its mainly for stake conference. 2 of our buildngs have 1.5 down only and we experienced choppy play back with the webcast in that building. The others with higher speed were fine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nognielsen wrote:correct, its mainly for stake conference. 2 of our buildngs have 1.5 down only and we experienced choppy play back with the webcast in that building. The others with higher speed were fine.
And you cut off all other access, especially wireless? If so, then that's probably the strongest reason to get a upgrade. But that's not to say it's going to be easy. While the PFR is a starting point, prep the Stake President for his role in the discussion should it become necessary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nognielsen

Post by nognielsen »

yes, The Stake President is the one actually driving for this! Hopefully I can get it approved with FM group...
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Whatever you do, whatever you plan, Never, EVER, EVER, EVER, Never, EVER - use the Come Follow Me videos as any kind of reason for the internet upgrade. Even the most non-tech person in FM is trained to react immediately to any sign when a stake wants to upgrade for that purpose.

Start with a plan, as the STS, provide legitimate use of the Internet during the heaviest times like on Sunday, etc... Do you require video conferencing?, etc... Put together asks for this year, then asks for the 2014 R&I (which is the FM budget planning process). Consider things like wireless, Ethernet, etc... better speed may still not provide better picture if you are using wireless vs wired. Etc..

Make sure that the FMG knows you are thinking about their budget restraints, etc...

That said... my stake center does webcasts with barely .360 Up speed, 1.5 download speeds are absolutely perfect when all you can push them is .360 up. I've been denied over and over at our stake center for an upgrade because the FMG has determined it is sufficient. We have HD cameras, we pan the choir, and I'd really like to make a pleasant viewing experience for the other 8 meetinghouses where people watch our webcasts.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”