Donations by Non-Members to Other account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dheilner

Donations by Non-Members to Other account

Post by dheilner »

A non-member made a non-fundraising donation via check into a stake (not a ward) Other Authorized Member Financed Activities (AMFA) subcategory, which check was deposited in February. Now we are trying to understand what to do about it.

I think generally a non-member donation needs to go to CHQ rather than to a specific stake/ward/branch account, or needs to be returned to the donor. Is that right? It would seem that the only funds that should go into AMFA would be "member-financed." In this case, where the deposit has already been made, how would I transfer the funds to CHQ in any case?

By the way, the donation is quite small and I imagine the donor would be surprised to receive to have it returned. I want to make sure I follow the right procedures for this. Thanks

dheilner
gregwanderson

Re: Donations by Non-Members to Other account

Post by gregwanderson »

If a non-member wanted to donate to, let's say, fast offerings in our ward, then we can easily add them as a donor and list them as a non-member or "misc" rather than attach them to a record number. Same thing if a non-member parent wanted to contribute to, say, the money for their son to go to scout camp in an "Other" pass-through situation (or AMFA). I see no reasaon why they would have to donate directly to CHQ. But... I have no experience processing donations to the stake.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Use it for one of the stake funded youth camps or send it to a ward that may need some help with there camps. I see no reason to send it to HQ.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Use it for one of the stake funded youth camps or send it to a ward that may need some help with there camps. I see no reason to send it to HQ.
Except I don't think there's any basis in the handbook for accepting such a donation for funding activities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dheilner wrote:A non-member made a non-fundraising donation via check into a stake (not a ward) Other Authorized Member Financed Activities (AMFA) subcategory, which check was deposited in February. Now we are trying to understand what to do about it.
It is hard to know where to begin with this answer, since the deposit should never have been made at the stake. There will be no receipt, no donor statement, none of the things that ward MLS provides for those who donate to the Church.

But since the deposit is a done deal, I suggest two remaining options.

The AMFA (Other) subcategories at the stake are used the same way the subcategories at the ward are used. Money is deposited for a specific purpose, and the money is used for that purpose, or it is returned.

If the donor made the donation and truly intended it to be for "the Church" to use as the Church wishes, you should treat it the same way you would treat any other uncategorized or unidentified money in the Other account. Write a check from the AMFA (Other) subcategory to Church headquarters and send it in. You do not have to identify a specific purpose for the use of the money.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dheilner wrote:A non-member made a non-fundraising donation via check into a stake (not a ward) Other Authorized Member Financed Activities (AMFA) subcategory, which check was deposited in February. Now we are trying to understand what to do about it.
How a donation to an "Other:AMFA" subcategory for a stake is handled is exactly the same as for a ward. Whether the donor is a member or a nonmember does not matter. Processing the donation is the same.

What was the AMFA subcategory and what was its purpose? Answering that question helps determine what to do with the funds.

If the nonmember was to benefit from the activity, but did not participate, or if the funds were to benefit someone else but the funds were not needed, then the funds should be refunded by printing a check payable to the nonmember from the applicable "Other:AMFA" subcategory..

If the nonmember does not want the funds returned, then obtain permission from the nonmember to change the category of the donation from"Other:AMFA" to a charitable category such as Humanitarian Aid. (Note the same charitable categories in stake MLS varies a bit from ward MLS and some categories are not available.)

If the nonmember can not be located to refund the funds or to recategorize the donation, then clear the funds by printing a check from the "Other:AMFA" subcategory, payable to Corporation of the President. In the "Purpose" field, enter 'Surplus "Other" Funds.' Send the check to:

Church Finance Dept.
50 E North Temple St.
SLC UT 84150
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”