MLS Freezes During Sync

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
chmsant

MLS Freezes During Sync

Post by chmsant »

In the last two weeks, two computers in my stake have developed the exact same issue. Whenever we go to sync, MLS dials in, makes the connection, goes to authenticate and then hangs the entire computer. The computer will not respond whatsoever and can sit there for hours. Both are running Windows XP with all the latest updates. Both computers still connect via dialup since high-speed internet is not yet available in that building.

I've already spoken with the helpdesk, twice. On my second call, I was told that I was the 4th case that he had seen of the same type of issue. I'm just wondering if any of you have suggestions or are seeing similar behaviors. I brought these computers to a nearby building that does have high-speed and they continue to sync just fine over high-speed there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS Freezes During Sync

Post by russellhltn »

You installed the new Sophos, didn't you?

BTDT, learned my lesson: Spontaneous reboot on send/receive
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

russellhltn wrote:You installed the new Sophos, didn't you?

BTDT, learned my lesson: Spontaneous reboot on send/receive
Yeah, that was one of the updates that were installed when I had the computers over at the other building. Do you still have your batch file for removal?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, but since it removes security, and I can't verify your ID on the forum, you need to get it from Local Unit Support.

Each time I asked LUS they advised me to remove Sophos completely because it wasn't going to updates over dial-up. So you shouldn't have a problem getting the removal file from them. Just a warning: the first file they sent was some kind of script file. It was for a older version of Sophos and didn't work. The second file was a BAT file and worked.

Also, for some reason, when they sent me the file, it didn't arrive in my gmail account - not even in the spam folder. I had to have them send it to an old Compuserve (!) account for me to get it.

I didn't like the idea of no AV, even if it wasn't fully up to date. So I hacked the file to only remove the firewall and used the Windows firewall. The file was well commented. So I REMed out the parts where it said it was going to remove the AV.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

Of course you can ID me, lol. Use the contact info in CDOL for the Sacramento CA Stake STS. If you're getting support from LUS, then you should have access ;)

What i'm interested in most is the lines that you cut out so it would only do the firewall. I'm skeptical too about no AV product on the machines. Can you at least tell me what line number(s) to comment out?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cswadner wrote:What i'm interested in most is the lines that you cut out so it would only do the firewall. I'm skeptical too about no AV product on the machines. Can you at least tell me what line number(s) to comment out?
You'll find a block of text like this:

Code: Select all

call :echo Removing Sophos AutoUpdate
call :RemSAU >>%LogFile% 2>>&1
call :echo Removing Sophos Client Firewall
call :RemSCF >>%LogFile% 2>>&1
call :echo Removing Sophos Anti-Virus
call :RemSAV >>%LogFile% 2>>&1
Just add a couple of single REM statements at the last line of that block. Like this:

Just change it to

Code: Select all

call :echo Removing Sophos AutoUpdate
call :RemSAU >>%LogFile% 2>>&1
call :echo Removing Sophos Client Firewall
call :RemSCF >>%LogFile% 2>>&1
REM call :echo Removing Sophos Anti-Virus
REM call :RemSAV >>%LogFile% 2>>&1
(Note to lurkers - the calls reference another part of the script, so that block won't do you any good without the rest of the BAT file.)

If you want to leave in auto-update, you can do that by REMing the top two lines. I removed it because I was afraid that it would reinstall the firewall. It seemed to me that the AV could still update. (Not sure about auto, but at least manually triggered.)

chmsant

Post by chmsant »

Thanks! I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes.
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

I tried your edited script as well as the full removal of Sophos and the issue still occurs. Back to the drawing board...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting. Does it sync OK when on broadband? If not then it sounds like a corrupted database.

Otherwise, perhaps the Windows firewall is blocking Java. I know I frequently see a "block" message when playing with a new install of MLS. But I've always allowed it.

chmsant

Post by chmsant »

Syncs just dandy over broadband. Firewall is a non-issue here. MLS Support had me go down some random goose chase to verify I had the correct phone numbers, but that led nowhere.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”