Help with pec

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dsgunn130908

Help with pec

Post by dsgunn130908 »

Hi all can you help does it say anywhere in handbook 1 or 2 about missionaries attending pec or not

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Help with pec

Post by aebrown »

dsgunn130908 wrote:does it say anywhere in handbook 1 or 2 about missionaries attending pec or not
The attendees for ward PEC are listed in Handbook 2, Section 4.3. Missionaries are not mentioned one way or the other. In fact, no additional attendees are mentioned, except for the RS president.

The attendees for stake PEC are listed in Handbook 2, Section 18.3.6. Unlike the ward PEC, the stake PEC description notes that "The stake presidency may invite others to attend as needed."

I personally would be wary of inviting the full-time missionaries to every PEC, since matters could very well be discussed there that are not appropriate for the missionaries to hear. That said, I don't see anything in the handbooks that would lead me to question the bishop's use of his priesthood keys to determine who should attend that meeting.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dsgunn130908 wrote:Hi all can you help does it say anywhere in handbook 1 or 2 about missionaries attending pec or not
It would be very unusual for missionaries to attend PEC.

Handbook 2: 4.3 lists those who attend priesthood executive committee meeting. The [ward mission leader and] full-time missionaries are not included on that list.

[Edit/correction: The ward mission leader is a part of the PEC.]

Missionary work is a matter for the ward council. The ward mission leader is a member of the ward council, and Handbook 2: 5.1.2 says that the bishop may occasionally invite full-time missionaries to meet with the ward council as recommended by the ward mission leader.

Handbook 2: 5.1.5 explains how the ward mission leader coordinates the work of the full-time missionaries and the ward members during the regular Missionary Coordination Meeting.

All of Handbook 2: 5.1 pertains to missionary work and explains how the full-time missionaries support the members in their missionary responsibilities.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

PEC, as we know it, has very little meaningful value anymore. I wish we could eliminate it entirely - The WWLT training when the introduction of the new handbook took place indicated that in most cases PEC should be eliminated, or at least reduced to a short time-period to accomplish a specific task.

Maybe instead of expanding a PEC, you might suggest Ward Council be used instead.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:PEC, as we know it, has very little meaningful value anymore. I wish we could eliminate it entirely - The WWLT training when the introduction of the new handbook took place indicated that in most cases PEC should be eliminated, or at least reduced to a short time-period to accomplish a specific task.
Although the importance of the ward council has been greatly emphasized, the priesthood executive committee still plays a vital role in the guiding and ministering of the Church.

True, there are many things that have traditionally been discussed in a meeting of the PEC that are more properly dealt with in ward or stake council, but the successful functioning of the PEC still is critical to the progress of a ward or stake.

I do not recall anything from the World Wide Leadership Training that spoke of the elimination of the PEC.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

lajackson wrote:
JohnShaw wrote:PEC, as we know it, has very little meaningful value anymore. I wish we could eliminate it entirely - The WWLT training when the introduction of the new handbook took place indicated that in most cases PEC should be eliminated, or at least reduced to a short time-period to accomplish a specific task.
Although the importance of the ward council has been greatly emphasized, the priesthood executive committee still plays a vital role in the guiding and ministering of the Church.

True, there are many things that have traditionally been discussed in a meeting of the PEC that are more properly dealt with in ward or stake council, but the successful functioning of the PEC still is critical to the progress of a ward or stake.

I do not recall anything from the World Wide Leadership Training that spoke of the elimination of the PEC.
I haven't held a full genuine agenda led PEC meeting for a long time. Not saying that makes me correct - but I can certainly understand the feeling that it has/is becoming sidelined, certainly at a ward level.
akjenkins

Post by akjenkins »

lajackson wrote:Handbook 2: 4.3 lists those who attend priesthood executive committee meeting. The ward mission leader and full-time missionaries are not included on that list.
I agree with what lajackson summarized except the ward mission leader is to attend PEC:

Handbook 2: 4.3: "The ward priesthood executive committee (PEC) includes the bishopric, ward clerk, ward executive secretary, high priests group leader, elders quorum president, ward mission leader...."

As much as I'd sometimes like to get out of another meeting, as a ward mission leader it's important that I attend in our ward's PEC. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

akjenkins wrote:I agree with what lajackson summarized except the ward mission leader is to attend PEC . . .

As much as I'd sometimes like to get out of another meeting, as a ward mission leader it's important that I attend in our ward's PEC. :)
Wow, I blew that one. You are correct, and I have added a note to the post you reference to correct that statement. Thanks.

Return to “General Discussions”