Calendar to which I no longer have rights still syncing

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rtonkinson

Calendar to which I no longer have rights still syncing

Post by rtonkinson »

I was recently released as stake executive secretary. With the update of the calling in MLS, the private calendars for the stake presidency and the members (we had one for the whole presidency and one each for interviews for the president and the two Counselors, so 4 in total) dropped off the list of calendars to which I could subscribe. However, all the events are still syncing to iCal, including private interviews that were schedule by the new stake exec. sec. subsequent to my release. I really don't want I see those. How can I get tem off my calendar?

Interestingly, they show on the website as private events, and when I open them, they show no information. But on iCal, they have the detail. I was actually able to get them off my website calendar by unsubscribing from the window on the left side of the calendar view, where they still appeared even though they did not show when I accessed subscriptions using the gear icon. And, about five minutes after that, they disappeared from iCal. However, this is some kind of bug that should be fixed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar to which I no longer have rights still syncing

Post by aebrown »

rtonkinson wrote:Interestingly, they show on the website as private events, and when I open them, they show no information. But on iCal, they have the detail.
That's not too surprising. The website would update immediately to correspond to your change in permissions caused by your change in calling. What you see on iCal is the result of a sync process, which I would guess is slower to respond.
rtonkinson wrote: I was actually able to get them off my website calendar by unsubscribing from the window on the left side of the calendar view, where they still appeared even though they did not show when I accessed subscriptions using the gear icon.
Note that you weren't actually unsubscribing by unchecking boxes on the left side of the calendar view -- doing that only selects which of your subscribed calendars are displayed, which is quite different from unsubscribing, and will never affect which calendars are involved in the sync.
rtonkinson wrote:And, about five minutes after that, they disappeared from iCal.
My guess is that when you visited the Subscriptions page, you triggered the system to reexamine your subscriptions and remove those that you no longer had access to because of your change in callings. That's why shortly after that, you saw the private calendar events disappear from iCal.

You can verify that theory by looking on the left side of your main Calendar view. If those private calendars no longer appear in the list (they are not simply unchecked), then you can be confident that you are now truly unsubscribed.
rtonkinson wrote: However, this is some kind of bug that should be fixed.
It would definitely be good if the subscriptions could be automatically updated when permissions change, without having to visit the Subscriptions page.
rtonkinson

Re: Calendar to which I no longer have rights still syncing

Post by rtonkinson »

No, after I visited the subscription page on which those calendars were not shown, they still appeared on my calendar. And yes, I do know the difference between hiding and unsubscribing, and I could both hide and unhindered those private events on the calendar. However, when accessing the web page on an I pad you can tap on tem and an opportunity to unsubscribe appears in small type at the bottom of the page. One I did that, the events immediately, or nearly so, disappeared from I-cal.

Return to “Calendar”