Website for family history center

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
mkeamo

Website for family history center

Post by mkeamo »

I am a STC. The director of family history center asked if I could create a website for their specific family history center. Does the church have a system in place or would I have to create one from Wordpress? I can't find the church's stance on this. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Website for family history center

Post by aebrown »

Every FHC has a page on the FamilySearch research wiki. For example, here's an FHC in my area: Sandy Utah Crescent Family History Center. The FHC director (or any other responsible contributor, for that matter) can edit that page to make it reflect the current details for the FHC.

Many of the current FHC pages on the wiki are only stubs (the one I linked to is an example of that), but others have quite a bit of information (such as the Riverton FamilySearch Library). The wiki format allows for multiple pages for a particular FHC, if you want to put that kind of effort into it.

As for creating a separate site, you should review the Handbook 2, Section 21.1.22, which covers the creation of websites. The policy is rather clear for stakes, ward, temples, missions, and visitors centers, but Family History Centers are not specifically mentioned.
mkeamo

Post by mkeamo »

Thank you very much. I was looking for what the church had in place but couldn't find it. To clarify there is no administrator in our stake that approves the content but you can add to it correct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkeamo wrote:Thank you very much. I was looking for what the church had in place but couldn't find it. To clarify there is no administrator in our stake that approves the content but you can add to it correct?
The FamilySearch Research Wiki follows standard wiki rules. That means that anyone is free to update the content, but any edits can be undone or overridden if those edits are considered to be incorrect.

But as a practical matter, it's unlikely that very many people will try to update the page for a particular FHC. So I would think that the FHC director could work with his or her priesthood leaders to establish who will take primary responsibility for updating that content, and then make sure the content is kept up to date.

Return to “Family History Centers”