Priesthood Line of Authority

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kalnius

Priesthood Line of Authority

Post by kalnius »

When a brother is ordained to the office of an Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood, he usually receives a written priesthood line of authority (PLA) from the one who ordains him.

My question: When an Elder is then ordained to High Priest and is given another PLA, which is used, the original or the one for High Priest ordination?

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Priesthood Line of Authority

Post by aebrown »

A person's PLA is based on their current office -- elder, high priest, or apostle. Ordination as a bishop or patriarch does not affect the PLA (in those cases, it would still be the high priest ordination that would determine the PLA).
craigklein

Post by craigklein »

I understand that we can submit an online request for our PLA... Where can we do so?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craigklein wrote:I understand that we can submit an online request for our PLA... Where can we do so?
The details can be found here.

There seems to be a new place, found in the "Tools" of lds.org: here
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lboggs

Post by lboggs »

Is there any chance of getting LoA added into MLS as a standard part of the ordination process?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lboggs wrote:Is there any chance of getting LoA added into MLS as a standard part of the ordination process?
I'd say there's little to no chance of getting a new feature like that added to MLS. Minimal development efforts are being devoted to MLS at this point; the focus is on moving MLS functionality to Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org.

However, you could certainly make that suggestion for Clerk Resources; you could use the Feedback link on LDS.org to submit your idea.
brooke.nebergall

Post by brooke.nebergall »

Hi, I am wondering if there is any way to get the PLA for the Patriarch who gave me my Patriarchal Blessing since the Apostle who ordained him was mentioned in it, but not by name. I am hoping to add this information for my private family history.

-Brooke
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

brooke.nebergall wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:18 pm Hi, I am wondering if there is any way to get the PLA for the Patriarch who gave me my Patriarchal Blessing since the Apostle who ordained him was mentioned in it, but not by name. I am hoping to add this information for my private family history.

-Brooke
If he is still living, you can ask him for a copy - he may or may not provide it. If he is deceased, it would seem that you can only obtain it if he is an ancestor. Details are here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/too ... y?lang=eng
Cmanrogers

Post by Cmanrogers »

brooke.nebergall wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:18 pm Hi, I am wondering if there is any way to get the PLA for the Patriarch who gave me my Patriarchal Blessing since the Apostle who ordained him was mentioned in it, but not by name. I am hoping to add this information for my private family history.
Issue is the normal Line of authority doesn't track patriarch ordinations, just Elder and High Priest. That being said you could ask which Apostle it was, granted your patriarch is still living (or alternatively a family member who may know.)
Christian Rogers
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Another option would be previous Stake leaders (or even local Stake members), who have lived in that Stake for a long time. I don't know if Stakes keep a history of those types of things, but especially if an Apostle was involved in a Patriarch ordination, it seems like something that might be remembered by those who were Stake leaders at the time

Return to “Membership Help”