Times mixed up on calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rem1701e

Times mixed up on calendar

Post by rem1701e »

Starting on March 10 we are seeing all of our times for activities that were already on our calendars 1 hour earlier. I suspect that it is because of Daylight Savings Time, however I am concerned about activities that are being scheduled right now and will be set for the correct time and then will it be an hour off as well come the 10th?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Times mixed up on calendar

Post by russellhltn »

Can you duplicate this on another computer? The website takes it's cue from the timezone settings of the local computer. If your computer isn't set right, that will throw off the display.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rem1701e wrote:Starting on March 10 we are seeing all of our times for activities that were already on our calendars 1 hour earlier. I suspect that it is because of Daylight Savings Time, however I am concerned about activities that are being scheduled right now and will be set for the correct time and then will it be an hour off as well come the 10th?
I do not recall having to change the time of events after DST begins on March 10th. It seems just to be a display glitch going over the date of the switch to and from daylight saving time.

And I do not recall anything in any of the other topics mentioning this. (Although I am sure if someone remembers and reads this, they will comment.)
jeffreychristensen

Post by jeffreychristensen »

My Stake President and I are having this problem right now.
Everything on his computer is showing 1 hour earlier than what I am seeing.
Now that I have read what you said here things are clicking a little.
He is using a new laptop with Windows 8. He said it has been automatically changing his time and messing that up lately.
I'm on a good old fashioned mac using snow leopard. My time is correct.
The time on the calendar for me is correct and for him wrong.

I'm wondering if this is a windows bug or problem. Hopefully this will go away after Sunday but until then we may have a few people confused.
Thanks for the post and the answer.
kallgaier

Post by kallgaier »

We are having the same issue, and I can't find anything related to this topic in help documentation.

By the way, I have tested in IE, Firefox and Safari, on Windows and Mac. They all do the same thing, so it has to be something on the server-side. It's creating chaos for our Ward members.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The calendar always displays activities in "local time" as defined by the device itself. If different people are seeing different times, then it's something in the computer that's "off" be it the time itself or time zone settings.

To add to the fun: This morning, my smartphone had the wrong time. Even after a cold start. But when I went to call my service provider to report it, the time automatically corrected itself. But the fact it was off in the first place makes me wonder if my service provider has been sending the correct time zone parameters.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jeffreychristensen wrote:Hopefully this will go away after Sunday . . .
Daylight Saving Time has arrived in the United States. The calendars should appear normal now, at least until the first Sunday in November, when DST ends.

As russellhltn said, if things do not appear normal, first check to make sure your viewing device knows the correct time and time zone.

My contribution to the fun is that my computer jumped ahead two hours this morning, and the clock on the mantle that receives radio signals on WWV from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) turned back one hour.

Return to “Calendar”