What is the role of the web site administrators in the new.lds.org site

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
hamrickg

What is the role of the web site administrators in the new.lds.org site

Post by hamrickg »

What is the role of the web site administrators on the new.lds.org site. I can find nothing that says he has a role to play in the new evolving church web site.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

hamrickg wrote:What is the role of the web site administrators on the new.lds.org site. I can find nothing that says he has a role to play in the new evolving church web site.
Until all the modules of the classic LUWS have been developed we do not know what the website administrator's full role and reponsibilities will be. Two modules, calendar and directory, that have been released but still in development include the website administrator in key roles. The website administrator is a default approver for the calendar and an administratorfor the directory. Most likely the website administrator will have other key roles similar to the classic LUWS once it is complete.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
brogers

Re: What is the role of the web site administrators in the

Post by brogers »

I tried to search for a current description of what the calling of Website Administrator is all about with the current roles and usage expectations of the lds.org website.

Is there some description of that calling somewhere?

My experience here (as a Bishopric Counselor) is that "someone" needs to approve calendaring items or post newsletter items, or approve photo posts, etc. If a Ward Clerk or Assistant Ward Clerk or even Executive Secretary were quite computer savvy, he could probably fill this role with minimal effort (assuming that the rest of the ward Leadership who already have those rights take the initiative to do those actions themselves when their organization originates those website updates).

So, I guess in my mind the calling of Website Administrator may not really be needed in a ward if the above conditions apply. Am I missing something? What are other wards doing?

I've recently been released, but as part of my calling I did a significant part of the website "maintenance". We did have a called Website Administrator, who certainly had some things to do in that role, but it was a pretty light load. This person has now been called to another calling, and the Bishop is asking me my opinion on who should fill that role, and I'm frankly wondering if it's needed, since his counselors are pretty tech savvy, as are his new Ward Clerk and Executive Secretary. Any perspective you have on this would be appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: What is the role of the web site administrators in the

Post by aebrown »

brogers wrote:I tried to search for a current description of what the calling of Website Administrator is all about with the current roles and usage expectations of the lds.org website.

Is there some description of that calling somewhere?
See the topic Ward website administrator calling description.
brogers wrote:My experience here (as a Bishopric Counselor) is that "someone" needs to approve calendaring items or post newsletter items, or approve photo posts, etc. If a Ward Clerk or Assistant Ward Clerk or even Executive Secretary were quite computer savvy, he could probably fill this role with minimal effort (assuming that the rest of the ward Leadership who already have those rights take the initiative to do those actions themselves when their organization originates those website updates).
No one needs to approve calendaring items; those who have calendar editor rights can create events directly with no approval needed (the system checks for conflicts).

But otherwise, you're probably right. A website administrator could do a fair amount of work in approving photos, as well as taking pictures and uploading photos. The Newsletter could also take some work if people submit articles via email and the administrator needs to format them and categorize them, but publisher rights can be given to people so that they can post articles directly.
brogers wrote:So, I guess in my mind the calling of Website Administrator may not really be needed in a ward if the above conditions apply. Am I missing something? What are other wards doing?
We see a variety of approaches in our stake. In some wards, the clerks just handle all the website issues. In others, the website administrator takes an active role in helping take pictures and uploading them, and some administrators are the main go-to person for managing the calendar system (deciding what calendars to create, scheduling events for non-editors, teaching calendar editors how to use the system, etc.).

Return to “Main Church Website”