Sophos firewall is blocking DNS queries

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aclawson

Sophos firewall is blocking DNS queries

Post by aclawson »

I'm working on the stake clerk machine at the moment, and DNS lookups are failing.

The DNS servers configured by the DHCP server (one of the new firewalls) are, in order

If I stop the service Sophos Client Firewall, DNS lookups work normally. If I restart the service DNS lookups stop working again.
david.north

Re: Sophos firewall is blocking DNS queries

Post by david.north »

Were you able to resolve this problem outside of turning off the Sophos firewall?
We just experienced a similar problem this past Sunday on all three of the clerk computers in one building.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If you access the Sophos Firewall Logs through the management tool you should be able to see denies for port 53 and it will tell you which rule it is. If a rule has been pushed to Sophos we need to escalate it to the GSC and they can get in touch with someone who can get in touch with someone that will/may address the issue in the future at some point.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
david.north

Post by david.north »

JohnShaw wrote:If you access the Sophos Firewall Logs through the management tool you should be able to see denies for port 53 and it will tell you which rule it is. If a rule has been pushed to Sophos we need to escalate it to the GSC and they can get in touch with someone who can get in touch with someone that will/may address the issue in the future at some point.
Great advice - I'll check the logs and let you know what I find.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Did you see anything in the logs?
david.north

Post by david.north »

aclawson wrote:Did you see anything in the logs?
All applications were blocked because of an Invalid Checksum. Global support was unsure how to proceed, and recommended for our circumstance to allow all traffic through the Sophos Firewall and manually set DNS servers.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Sophos is proving to be an unreliable choice. Unfortunately we're probably locked into an <x> year contract where <x> = 3-5 years.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dnorthut wrote:All applications were blocked because of an Invalid Checksum.
Sounds like uninstall/reinstall time. Local Unit Support can help you with that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”