add unit

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
farwest

add unit

Post by farwest »

I've looked and I have seen this before but can't find it. We just discontinued a unit it has a newer computer (faster) then our stake computer. Instruction on discontinued units say to scrub the hard drive. I would like to keep the discontinued unit computer intact and transfer the stake data to this computer and use it as the stake computer. Is this possible?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: add unit

Post by lajackson »

farwest wrote:I would like to keep the discontinued unit computer intact and transfer the stake data to this computer and use it as the stake computer. Is this possible?
I think so. You would turn in the older, less capable stake computer to the FM Group for disposal in place of the newer computer the discontinued unit was using.
farwest

Post by farwest »

So next question is where are the instructions for adding the stake unit and how to I delete the discontinue unit? I've seen the instructions before just can't find them.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

farwest wrote:So next question is where are the instructions for adding the stake unit and how to I delete the discontinue unit? I've seen the instructions before just can't find them.
As an MLS administrator from the discontinued unit (the stake will probably have such a login) start MLS, go to the System panel, click on the System Options link and then the Units link. There, find the Add Unit link and add the stake.

Logout and login again as the stake, and use a very current stake backup to restore your stake data to the new computer.

At some point in the future, after you have printed out everything you need from the discontinued unit and have a good backup, Log in as the stake, go to the System panel System Options / Units link, and delete the discontinued unit.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You forgot the need to call the administrative office and have the "security token" reset.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:At some point in the future, after you have printed out everything you need from the discontinued unit and have a good backup, Log in as the stake, go to the System panel System Options / Units link, and delete the discontinued unit.
i would not do that until everything in the discontinued unit has exceeded the financial retention period. (Three years plus current for the USA)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:You forgot the need to call the administrative office and have the "security token" reset.
True, but if he is using the Wiki checklist, I was only helping him with item 13, and the reset follows.

But yes, he will probably (but not for certain) need a reset.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:At some point in the future, after you have printed out everything you need from the discontinued unit and have a good backup, Log in as the stake, go to the System panel System Options / Units link, and delete the discontinued unit.
i would not do that until everything in the discontinued unit has exceeded the financial retention period. (Three years plus current for the USA)
The instructions for discontinuing a unit leave you with a good backup. In most cases where a unit is discontinued, the backup goes to the stake, which keeps it in case it is needed.

But in most cases there is not a unit computer remaining, and the stake does not load the files onto the stake computer as a normal process. The backup is there if something needs to be recovered, and it could be loaded onto the stake computer if needed, but in our stake, we have never had to do this if we followed all of the instructions when the unit was discontinued.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But in most cases there is not a unit computer remaining, and the stake does not load the files onto the stake computer as a normal process. The backup is there if something needs to be recovered, and it could be loaded onto the stake computer if needed,
I've noticed a few messages here that indicate that old backups don't always restore. In this case the files are already on the machine, so I don't see the harm in keeping them there until it's time to discard it completely.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:But in most cases there is not a unit computer remaining, and the stake does not load the files onto the stake computer as a normal process. The backup is there if something needs to be recovered, and it could be loaded onto the stake computer if needed,
I've noticed a few messages here that indicate that old backups don't always restore. In this case the files are already on the machine, so I don't see the harm in keeping them there until it's time to discard it completely.
I agree there is no harm. And they should still make the backup. In most cases though, the opportunity of keeping the data on a discontinued unit computer will not present itself, as it has here.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”