Administrator Changing Member Email

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rgilgen

Administrator Changing Member Email

Post by rgilgen »

I searched but didn't find any discussion on this. As ward webmaster, I can edit lots of things, but not a member's email address. This is one of the most common requests I get. Although members can easily change their own email, getting there and doing it really isn't that easy for many of them (we have several older members).

It would really be nice to allow administrators the ability to change a member's email, perhaps by sending an email to the member having them click a link which verifies the change and makes it effective.

Currently ward clerks can change member emails. Do they need to give me access to MLS?

If this ability is already there, I'd love to be enlightened...

Read Gilgen
Bloomington 6th Ward
St George, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Administrator Changing Member Email

Post by russellhltn »

Email is probably considered to be part of the member's Membership Record. As such, it's under the purview of the clerks and permission to change it is unlikely to be given to web admins.

Such as change wouldn't be up to the developers - it would be have to be approved by the priesthood department.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I moved this topic into the Directory forum section from Ideas & Suggestions, since the issue deals with the Directory]
rgilgen wrote:I searched but didn't find any discussion on this.
It has been discussed previously, but the search capability here is a bit limited. See, for example, this post and those that follow it.
rgilgen wrote:As ward webmaster, I can edit lots of things, but not a member's email address.
That's correct. Since the email address is part of the information on the membership record, changing it is considered to be an operation that requires clerk permissions.
rgilgen wrote:Currently ward clerks can change member emails. Do they need to give me access to MLS?
That would enable you to change member email addresses, but only if you were given "Edit Membership" permissions in MLS. That role is usually reserved for clerks, so it would be unusual for a website administrator. But it's your bishop's decision as to whether you should be given those permissions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:
rgilgen wrote:Currently ward clerks can change member emails. Do they need to give me access to MLS?
That would enable you to change member email addresses, but only if you were given "Edit Membership" permissions in MLS.
That would only give you the ability to change emails in MLS - not on the web.

I believe being made an assistant clerk would give you the web permissions you seek. But if you're not already a clerk, that would require the approval of the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:That would only give you the ability to change emails in MLS - not on the web.
But since email addresses sync from MLS to the Directory on LDS.org, it would indeed provide a way to accomplish the desired end result of changing the email address that appears on the Directory, even if this particular technique would not be accomplished via the more convenient web interface.

Organizationally the MLS route would be simpler, since it would not require any stake approval. But if the bishop wants to recommend an assistant ward clerk calling, and the stake approves, that would solve the issue more directly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Organizationally the MLS route would be simpler, since it would not require any stake approval.
True, but then that would mean finding time on a busy ward computer. Probably simpler to just forward the information to a clerk.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:
That would enable you to change member email addresses, but only if you were given "Edit Membership" permissions in MLS. That role is usually reserved for clerks, so it would be unusual for a website administrator. But it's your bishop's decision as to whether you should be given those permissions.
This would be out of line with the guidelines that only clerks and the bishop can view membership records. There is no way to give "Edit Membership" permissions with out being able to view/print membership records also.
rgilgen

Post by rgilgen »

OK... so how do we shoot a suggestion up the priesthood channels?

If a member changes information on the web, does that automatically update MLS records as well?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

rgilgen wrote:OK... so how do we shoot a suggestion up the priesthood channels?
Through your stake president.
rgilgen wrote:If a member changes information on the web, does that automatically update MLS records as well?
Yes.
rgilgen

Post by rgilgen »

Thanks... I'll follow up that route.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”