Missing Copyright notice

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

The_Earl

Missing Copyright notice

Post by The_Earl »

http://wiki.familysearch.org/w/index.ph ... Copyrights is missing.

We need a copyright notice there!

Thanks
The Earl
RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

I'm glad you commented on the discussion page of the article at Copyright, Copyleft and Intellectual Property because this reminded me that it was outdated. Since writing it we've licensed the site under the Creative Commons license. I just changed the page to reflect that. The Creative Commons icon now appears at the bottom of every screen on the wiki, and one can click the icon to see the terms of our copyleft. However, I'm not sure this answers the use case "I want to know whether I can republish or recirculate the information on FamilySearch Wiki" because I don't know whether users will know how to find this information.

Any ideas, anyone, on how to make it more obvious to the user what the intellectual property rights are on this site?
Darris Williams-p40

Post by Darris Williams-p40 »

Would it help to have a notice on the type of copyright used for the site included on the registration page so that when a person registers they see it?
The_Earl

Project:Copyright

Post by The_Earl »

ritcheymt wrote:...
Any ideas, anyone, on how to make it more obvious to the user what the intellectual property rights are on this site?
Project:Copyright shows at the bottom of every edit page. That page should probably contain the CC copyright info, as well as some of the user / submission policy information discussed at the WUG meeting.

Some of the policy stuff should also be in a separate article

I agree that the registration page should also mirror the copyright notice, and user policies.

The Earl
ForbesMM

Post by ForbesMM »

The Earl wrote:Project:Copyright shows at the bottom of every edit page. That page should probably contain the CC copyright info, as well as some of the user / submission policy information discussed at the WUG meeting.

Some of the policy stuff should also be in a separate article

I agree that the registration page should also mirror the copyright notice, and user policies.

The Earl
I agree we need to have licensing/copyright information on this page. I have added this to our "needs to be prioritized" list in order to get this issue into a Sprint. Thanks!
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

molliewog wrote:I agree we need to have licensing/copyright information on this page. I have added this to our "needs to be prioritized" list in order to get this issue into a Sprint. Thanks!
From the users meeting, it seemed Jim had the text that needed to go here. I would be willing to put that in if I could get a copy of it.

Thanks
The Earl
jimgreene-p40

What do you think?

Post by jimgreene-p40 »

I have added info and links to the Copyright page. Does this work?
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

jimgreene wrote:I have added info and links to the Copyright page. Does this work?
Are you talking about the 'Copyright, Copyleft, and Intellectual Property' page from 'About this site'?

Yeah, that works. I will copy that to Project:Copyright. Project:Copyright is linked from the edit pages, so is very visible when you add content to the wiki. We should probably also add some of the Terms of Use discussed to the copyright notices as well.

Thanks
The Earl
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

The Earl wrote:Are you talking about the 'Copyright, Copyleft, and Intellectual Property' page from 'About this site'?

Yeah, that works. I will copy that to Project:Copyright. Project:Copyright is linked from the edit pages, so is very visible when you add content to the wiki. We should probably also add some of the Terms of Use discussed to the copyright notices as well.

Thanks
The Earl
Nevermind,

I am an idiot, and went to Project:Copyright manually, instead of going to Project:Copyrights.

Project:Copyrights is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks
The Earl

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”