Excel plugin

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bcotterall

Excel plugin

Post by bcotterall »

Hi I am brand new to this forum. I am a software engineer that wants to contribute when i can. However my first interest is to ask what may be a very simple question.
We have a member of the Bishopricwho is blind who is very tech savy but at times finds it hard to use the tools online. Is there a simple Excel plugin that can be used to present data from the online leaders site.
If there is not a current project and if it is possible, can I develop a tool to do this?
Brian
derekmw

Re: Excel plugin

Post by derekmw »

I am not sure about exporting from LDS.org or the leader tools, but the bishopric and clerk can export member data from MLS to a .csv spreadsheet.
bcotterall

Post by bcotterall »

Thanks for the reply, I've used this in the past but it requires a csv sync which can be complicated if you have specific funcionality embedded in excel macros. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here just leverage a a BLL to simply execute a query to the lds.org web site using the credentials. It has to be possible since LDS tools can get some data. If someone with some experience can point me in right direction that would be great.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bcotterall wrote:I don't want to reinvent the wheel here just leverage a a BLL to simply execute a query to the lds.org web site using the credentials. It has to be possible since LDS tools can get some data.
LDS Tools uses an API and is a Church sponsored community project. API's are not made available outside Church sponsored community projects.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bcotterall

Post by bcotterall »

Ok a project must be sponsored in order to use the API. What is the requirements for an idea to become sponsored?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

bcotterall wrote:What is the requirements for an idea to become sponsored?
If you hit the Contribute button at the top of this page, it should help you get involved with the right people to discuss your project.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”