Itsy bitsy tiny winie images

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
tonyduf-p40

Itsy bitsy tiny winie images

Post by tonyduf-p40 »

As everyone knows the limitation on the size of images used on luws are soooo small that they can barely be seen, even with a magnification glass.:confused:

So, I want to ask, does anyone know of a free ware software tool that could be used to click on the images in luws to enlarge the image so it can be seen; so I can recommend it to members of my ward?

If the size limitation is because of lack of server space, couldn't someone convince the Church about the benefits of images (that can actually be normally seen) on luws, and that additional server space be added on?

Finally, if my request or suggestions, above, are not possible, I suggest that the option of having images on the luws be removed; because if you can't see the image what use it to publish it.

thank you for your comments,

Tony D.

opee

Post by opee »

tonyduf wrote:So, I want to ask, does anyone know of a free ware software tool that could be used to click on the images in luws to enlarge the image so it can be seen; so I can recommend it to members of my ward?

Are you looking for something that will "magnify" the image?Or are you looking for something that will show you a larger image of the "itsy bitsy" one?

Most computers have an "accessibility" zoom that will allow you to magnify an image, but it will not improve the resolution--the image will look grainy and pixilated. To my knowledge there is no program that will enhance the resolution of an image when you click on it to make a smaller picture look more clear when you magnify it.

If you are looking to see a larger image of the "itsy bitsy" one by clicking on it and having a "new" image appear (like selecting a "thumbnail" image and having a larger, higher resolution one appear), then you would have to have a copy of the "itsy bitsy" and larger images on the server to accomplish that.

I am sure that a compromise could be made to allow larger images, but I can also understand why there are limitations.

Hope this "answers" your question.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

When the LUWS was created there were limitiations with storage and the perceived growth of storage needed. There will most likely not be any increase into the size of the pictures right now (I have looked into this) but it could be better when a new version is released and I don't have any time frames on that as of right now.
tonyduf-p40

Post by tonyduf-p40 »

Thank you opee and DJ for your replys to my post. I kind of anticipated already what your answers would be. As I said in my original post, I believe this function should be taken out as it is useless.:(

I wonder what the Presiding Bishop of the Church would say if someone showed him these ""ïstsy Bitsy"" pictures in a LUWS?:confused:
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

tonyduf wrote:I wonder what the Presiding Bishop of the Church would say if someone showed him these ""ïstsy Bitsy"" pictures in a LUWS?:confused:
Tony, I understand your frustration, but it's not proper here to try and speculate on the thoughts of Church leaders, or why certain limits might in place. What we can do is suggest changes or improvements, which you have already succeeded in doing.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind that the size of the pictures is also a function if your monitor resolution. The size probably looked fine in the older days when 800x600 was standard.

The trick to using the photos is to tightly crop the image.
tonyduf-p40

Post by tonyduf-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:Tony, I understand your frustration, but it's not proper here to try and speculate on the thoughts of Church leaders, or why certain limits might in place. What we can do is suggest changes or improvements, which you have already succeeded in doing.
I was not speculating (i.e. questioning), nor would I ever, I was just wondering. And, I do wonder at what Church level my frustrations are felt. For now, I'll just forego the use of pictures in our LUWS. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Tony
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

tonyduf wrote:I was not speculating (i.e. questioning), nor would I ever, I was just wondering. And, I do wonder at what Church level my frustrations are felt.
I understand.
tonyduf wrote:For now, I'll just forego the use of pictures in our LUWS. Thanks everyone for your comments.
Thank YOU for bringing this topic up. I agree that with storage getting cheaper and screen resolutions getting higher that the limits on picture sizes should probably be expanded to keep up with the pace of technology. Hopefully, they will consider this in future versions.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

tonyduf wrote:As everyone knows the limitation on the size of images used on luws are soooo small that they can barely be seen, even with a magnification glass.:confused:

So, I want to ask, does anyone know of a free ware software tool that could be used to click on the images in luws to enlarge the image so it can be seen; so I can recommend it to members of my ward?

While the software continues to include microscopic pictures, look up www.dogpile.com & search for "virtual magnifying glass". I find it handy for genealogy. I don't have to mess with the resolution, etc, just move the magnifying glass over what I want to enlarge.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I found the photo option particularly useful when clerking for a YSA ward. How about the option to add individual pictures instead of (or in addition to) family photos only?

I agree that tightly cropping photos usually works well, even for some of our larger families (like mine).

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”