Change to "this event only"

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tkwitt

Change to "this event only"

Post by tkwitt »

Recently while working on the details of a recurring meeting I found that the "Description" section of the calendar entry will change all repeating entries even when I select the option to apply the change to "this event only".

For example, our stake presidency has a regularly scheduled block of time when they meet with priesthood leaders from each ward. The variable, which I prefer to add to the "Description" field, is that from month to month the ward priesthood leaders will meet with a different member of the presidency. Rather than enter a new calendar item for each month, I would prefer to continue to use the "This Event Repeats" feature, and only change the details in the description field to note which ward leader will meet with which member of the presidency.

Please advise.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Change to "this event only"

Post by aebrown »

I can't duplicate this behavior. I edit various parts of repeating events all the time with no such problem. I specifically set up a repeating event with a description, and made it repeat 3 times. Then I edited the middle instance and changed the description, and when I saved, I chose "This Event Only". Indeed, only the middle event's description was changed; the other two instances still had the original description.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I am able to individually edit any event except the first event in a series. When I try to edit the first event, I do not receive a "This Event Only" opportunity, and the entire series is changed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I am able to individually edit any event except the first event in a series. When I try to edit the first event, I do not receive a "This Event Only" opportunity, and the entire series is changed.
Interesting. I just tested again, and I see no difference between the first event in the series and all the rest of them. In each case I am able to edit the event, choose "This Event Only", and the change I made applies only to that one event.

In the case where you did not receive the "This Event Only" opportunity, did you verify that on the Event Details screen the event was marked as a repeating event? Is it possible that you had a separate single event that was not part of the series, but happened to have the same name?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:
lajackson wrote:I am able to individually edit any event except the first event in a series. When I try to edit the first event, I do not receive a "This Event Only" opportunity, and the entire series is changed.
In the case where you did not receive the "This Event Only" opportunity, did you verify that on the Event Details screen the event was marked as a repeating event?
Fork alert, sorry! I was trying to delete the first event in the series, and unable to do so without taking out the entire series. Perhaps editing and deleting are handled differently.

Return to “Calendar”