Online Journal Entries - Link to scriptures, talks, etc

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
smith55js

Online Journal Entries - Link to scriptures, talks, etc

Post by smith55js »

I briefly looked, but didn't notice a way to do this. If it's not able to be done, I think this would be a feature that would be useful...

I'd like to know if I can write journal entries and in them, link to specific scriptures, talks, or highlighted passages. I can see this as useful in developing talks or lessons that can then be referenced on a mobile device. I love how I can go to the Sunday School lesson manual and it links directly to scriptures on my mobile device (via the Gospel Library app) and it jumps directly to the passage and has it highlighted. I could see this being useful for preparing classroom lessons, sacrament talks, or just personal study.

An additional idea would be if online journal entries could be shared to members of your ward or quorum via the online apps as well. This could be used for ward newsletters, lesson schedules, etc.
mevans

Re: Online Journal Entries - Link to scriptures, talks, etc

Post by mevans »

That might be an interesting idea.

One thing you can do now is make a notebook specific to the lesson or talk you need to give. Then you can include scriptures, talks, etc as well as text notes in the notebook.

Unfortunately, you can't make your highlighting notes on a scripture or other article specific to the notebook you're in. However, what's out there now is pretty cool and useful, as well as a blessing to us. I really love how I can associate the scriptures, magazines, manuals, etc. so they are all "one in my hand".

The Notes and Journal may be in its infancy, but it's a tremendous example of how technology can facilitate spiritual blessings. Although it doesn't do all you'd like it to do, I'd encourage you to find ways to regularly use what we've been given so far. You can also submit your request through the "Submit Feedback" link found on many of the web pages.
jcarroll

Post by jcarroll »

When you edit a journal entry, highlight, or bookmark, one of the items inside is "Links"; I've searched the official Notes and Journal help, I've searched this forum, along with lds.org in general, and I can't seem to find what this "Links:" is for. I assume that it is a placeholder for coming features, as described by smith55js,
write journal entries and in them, link to specific scriptures, talks, or highlighted passages
I also tried typing scripture references into the "Journal entry" to see if they would be automatically converted into "Links:"; however, they were not.

Until then, a personal wiki or blog might be a solution where you can insert hyperlinks directly to scriptures.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Thank you!
Attachments
notes-and-journal-links.png
Screenshot of notes and journal with 'links' highlighted-what is it for?
(48.42 KiB) Downloaded 957 times
mevans

Post by mevans »

I have no idea what "Links" refers to. Maybe it's preparation for something new? A few months ago on church employee mentioned they're working on something new that hasn't been announced yet.

I took a quick look at the HTML on the page and it looks like there's some reference to bookmarks, but I opened this page for some things I've bookmarked and don't see anything.
jcarroll

Post by jcarroll »

That's about what I expected; sounds similar to the mysterious BCC teaser in the "Messaging" tool. If you learn more, please share.

If anyone else has more information on this, please speak up. I would _love_ to be able to add hyperlink scripture references in my journal entries and highlight comments.

Thank you!
SparkyMartin

Post by SparkyMartin »

I was noticing the "Links" heading in the Journal Entry as well and looked around everywhere for the ability to add links to a journal entry or from a journal entry. What am I missing? Is this feature yet to be implemented? I really need the ability to do this.
mevans

Post by mevans »

SparkyMartin wrote: I really need the ability to do this.
What is it you want to do? We're all making guesses about what this would be used for, but don't have a clue about how or if it will ever be used.
SparkyMartin

Post by SparkyMartin »

I use the Journal Entry feature to add my own insights or quotes from other sources not found in the Gospel Library and I want the ability to link the Journal Entry to an entity (eg. Scripture) in Gospel Library. I could just make the entry a note to a particular scripture instead of a Journal Entry, but in certain cases the Journal Entry makes more sense.

For example, I recently found a really cool quote on light by President David O. McKay. This quote is not found anywhere in the current Gospel Library content, so I wanted to add it in my own personal content. I chose a Journal Entry for this particular quote because I can apply it to several scriptures. I wanted to link the Journal Entry to those scriptures. It looks like the feature should be there because when I am viewing a Journal Entry, I see an empty header titled "Links".
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

Under the Links heading, I can see several links--ones that I added through the Gospel Library app.
I think it interesting that the Gospel Library app was, I assumed, a mobile extension of the online scriptures, manuals, etc. Apparently, however, it is more than that, as this is one feature it has over the online scriptures.
Does GL app development follow or lead the online resources?
gregoryboucher

Post by gregoryboucher »

It's almost four years now since the question of using links in online journal entries was brought up in this thread, but I still don't seem to be able to link scriptures in online journal entries. Am I missing something, or is something available that I don't know about yet?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”