Members Available for callings

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Tgvphoto

Members Available for callings

Post by Tgvphoto »

We often face the problem in our ward of "flogging the working horse" meaning there are the same people getting overloaded with callings while other members go unnoticed or slip between the cracks and eventually fall away from the church.

I think it would be a great leadership tool to add to ldstools in mirror to searching for members by calling you could also search for members without callings when considering who could fill a vacant calling in the unit and who could use a responsibility in the ward to further involve and intergrate members into the ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Members Available for callings

Post by aebrown »

A report of "Members Without Callings" is available to leaders and clerks in MLS, and also in Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org. Having this capability in LDS Tools would be an additional convenience.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:Having this capability in LDS Tools would be an additional convenience.
While it may be an additional convenience is it really something that should be added to LDS tools?

I don't think so, the purpose of the "Members Without Callings" report is to help bishopric see who in the ward currently does not have a calling. This information is readily available through other sources.

Maybe I don't understand the purpose of LDS tools? But I don't think its to have the same capabilities as MLS or Leader/Clerk Resources has.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Gary_Miller wrote: While it may be an additional convenience is it really something that should be added to LDS tools?

I don't think so, the purpose of the "Members Without Callings" report is to help bishopric see who in the ward currently does not have a calling. This information is readily available through other sources.
All of the information in LDS Tools is readily available from other sources (MLS, lds.org Directory, lds.org Leader/Clerk resources) so that doesn't seem like a persuasive argument.
Gary_Miller wrote: Maybe I don't understand the purpose of LDS tools? But I don't think its to have the same capabilities as MLS or Leader/Clerk Resources has.
No, it doesn't have the same capabilities and I expect it will never support making membership record changes but it does already support reports specifically for leadership. The Android version now has the Action and Interview report and a birthday list. The iPhone version may have more. A Members Without Callings report seems to be very much in line with the kinds of reports already available. And the information is already in LDS Tools (since it already has callings information) so it's only a matter of putting it in report form.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

eblood66 wrote: ....but it does already support reports specifically for leadership. The Android version now has the Action and Interview report and a birthday list.
What Android version and what callings have this capabilities?

I'm an assistant ward clerk, using Android on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and all I have is Directory, Calling and Calendar.

eblood66 wrote: A Members Without Callings report seems to be very much in line with the kinds of reports already available. And the information is already in LDS Tools (since it already has callings information) so it's only a matter of putting it in report form.
As long as the tools can be limited to certain callings, as you say it can, then having access to the same reports in MLS or L/C resources would be a good idea.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Gary_Miller wrote:
eblood66 wrote: ....but it does already support reports specifically for leadership. The Android version now has the Action and Interview report and a birthday list.
What Android version and what callings have this capabilities?

I'm an assistant ward clerk, using Android on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and all I have is Directory, Calling and Calendar.
It just came out in the most recent version. My version of LDS Tools shows version 2.0.5.0 (look in Help > About for version number) and it looks like it was released on Feb. 15th. I don't think it matters what version of Android you're running or which handset you've got. Look in Google Play. The What's New section should mention the new information and reports.

I'm a ward clerk. I don't know which callings get the additional information and reports but I'm pretty sure that assistant clerks get them on the iPhone version so I assume they get them for the Android version as well.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

eblood66 wrote:It just came out in the most recent version. My version of LDS Tools shows version 2.0.5.0 (look in Help > About for version number) and it looks like it was released on Feb. 15th. I don't think it matters what version of Android you're running or which handset you've got. Look in Google Play. The What's New section should mention the new information and reports.
For some reason it did not auto update like it should have, I now have the latest version and hopefully the auto update fixed as I flagged it again during the upgrade.
eblood66 wrote:I'm a ward clerk. I don't know which callings get the additional information and reports but I'm pretty sure that assistant clerks get them on the iPhone version so I assume they get them for the Android version as well.
I have the the additional information now. Thanks for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:A report of "Members Without Callings" is available to leaders and clerks in MLS, and also in Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org. Having this capability in LDS Tools would be an additional convenience.
That's ok as long as the list is limited to the bishopric. Not everyone on that list is suitable for a calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:A report of "Members Without Callings" is available to leaders and clerks in MLS, and also in Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org. Having this capability in LDS Tools would be an additional convenience.
That's ok as long as the list is limited to the bishopric. Not everyone on that list is suitable for a calling.
The list would be available in LDS Tools to the same people it's available to in Leader and Clerk Resources. They should all understand the care with which such a list should be used.
Tgvphoto

Post by Tgvphoto »

russellhltn wrote:
I dont think it should be restricted to the bishopric. As an auxiliary leader the bishopric would have to approve your "calling" proposals any way. Im the Sunday School president and was asked to pray about teachers to call . . . I asked the clerk for a list of members without callings to consider. Its 3 months later, I now have teachers, but Im still waiting on the clerk to get me that list.

I think it would be extremely invaluable for auxiliary leaders when considering callings. You cant pray about people you havent considered or even know exist, and usually the first people that come to mind are the ones that already have 3 callings.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”