How to request commodities pink slips for audit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
esogs

How to request commodities pink slips for audit

Post by esogs »

We are missing the pink slips for a few Bishops Order for Commodities - Food and Supplies and for a few Bishop's order for Commodities - Clothing and Household Goods.

I've called the Bishops Storehouse and Deseret Industries asking for copies, and I was told that they didn't have them and had no idea how I would go about getting them. Does anyone know of any procedure to get copies of either the white or pink forms re-sent back to our ward?

Bishops Storehouse:

940 West Center
Lindon, UT - 84042
801-785-0996

Desert Industries
American Fork
435 South 500 East
American Fork, UT 84003
(801) 763-4560

Provo UT
1415 North State Street
Provo, Utah 84604
(801) 373-7920
rontilby

Re: How to request commodities pink slips for audit

Post by rontilby »

The white and canary copies should be taken to the storehouse when the order is picked up. The bishop should have retained the pink copy when he signed the form and matched it up to the canary copy that the storehouse sends back to the bishop. If the pink copy is lost, then I think all you can do is promise to improve your procedures and take the hit on the audit.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

If the canary copies aren't returned, should that be an audit exception?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

allenjpl wrote:If the canary copies aren't returned, should that be an audit exception?
It seems like it would have to be an audit exception. After all, question 15 says:
Ward/Branch Audit Form wrote:For one of the six months being audited, obtain all returned copies and ward copies of the following forms:
• Bishop's Order for Commodities—Food and Supplies
• Bishop's Order for Commodities—Clothing and Household Goods
Compare the returned copies of the forms to the ward copies....
If the auditor can't obtain the returned copies, he can't follow this step at all. Creating an exception will bring visibility to the issue so that procedures can be corrected at the storehouse or in the ward as needed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

allenjpl wrote:If the canary copies aren't returned, should that be an audit exception?
The audit checklist only addresses filled orders. It states: "If the unit has access to a bishops’ storehouse, were all filled bishop’s orders reviewed..." (bold added for emphasis). A canary copy not returned is typically an unfilled order. I don't know if this is standard procedure for all storehouses, but, our servicing bishops' storehouse returns all canary copies with a summary sheet and lists the filled orders. It is that list of filled orders that the auditor uses to check the one month's worth of orders for the audit. In the years I spent as an auditor in another stake (in another state) and the years since as a finance clerk I have never seen any documentation from the storehouse showing a filled order that did not have an accompanying pink copy.

As an aside, we track down missing or unfilled orders. I will call the storehouse after a couple of months to see if the paperwork was lost or misplaced. If they do not find the missing paperwork I will ask the Relief Society president to check with the member listed on the pink copy if the order was filled. If the order was not filled, I will bring it to the attention of the bishop and mark the pink copy with "order not filled".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
esogs

Post by esogs »

As a follow up on this, I misposted about what as missing, it is the Canary sheet that I don't have, I have the pink copies. I did get some help on the Bishop's storehouse, the second person I called was very helfpul and they did have copies of the white sheet that she could re-send copies back to me on. On the Commodoties orders, apparently there has been a change in procedure and all documents are shipping to a central place so the individual DI branches didn't have the info. I'm not sure how much I trust this, but I got that answer twice on two different calls, and they didn't have any good info (just guesses) on what I should do next.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd mention the issue to the auditor. I see it as their job to report problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
esogs

Post by esogs »

Yes, I'm also a stake auditor - but haven't run into this issue before, so I'll either figure it out, or just escalate it up to somewhere. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”