Donations to Specific Missionary in Ward

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dsallred

Donations to Specific Missionary in Ward

Post by dsallred »

I am a ward clerk who has encountered a problem that I can't seem to solve. We have about 12 missionaries out right now. In MLS, when donations are made to a specific missionary, I go in to record the donation, but one of our missionaries is not showing up and the missionary has been in the field for over a month. All the funds that are coming in from the family and from others wanting to support this missionary can't be assigned to her specifically. I've never had this problem before. All the names of the other missionaries have just shown up automatically in our system so that we can attach donations to that missionary. How do I resolve this? Who do I call?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donations to Specific Missionary in Ward

Post by russellhltn »

I'd follow the procedure for Transferring missionary funding to another ward to discuss the situation.

My guess is that the finances have been set to a different ward for some reason. If she started her paperwork in another ward, it could be assigned there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dsallred

Post by dsallred »

Great. Just what I needed.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I have the same answer that russellhltn gave. I'm guessing this sister did her paperwork in a student/singles ward and the responsibility fell to that ward. Good on you for following up on this, although I would have expected the other ward's leaders to be more anxious to fix it, since they're the ones seeing the money drain away.
dsallred

Post by dsallred »

She was in a BYU student ward before returning to her home ward. Then she left from her home ward in mid January. I was surprised too that the YSA ward hadn't tried to fix this after two months of funds coming out. Thanks for your help. I'll take care of this right away.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The Bishop can see this information in the online missionary application tool. There is a mechanism in the report for 'Missionaries in the Field' - If there is an 'Other Units' listed it can be clicked on to find all the associations of the missionary. The label 'Funding Ward' is the one you are looking for. That is the ward/branch that automatically gets the sub-category created, and where the withdrawls come from.

The online tool also provides a way for Bishops/Branch Presidents to transfer the designation ward. If they work with their clerk, they should be able to know how many months have gone by they can also set an applicable date back in time to automatically transfer the expenses associated with the missionary as well.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”