correcting unit boundaries shown in lds.org "maps"

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
colbyj

correcting unit boundaries shown in lds.org "maps"

Post by colbyj »

How might we go about correcting the boundaries shown in "maps" for two of our units? While looking up some member location information during a stake meeting, my stake president noted that two ward boundaries are incorrectly drawn in the "maps" section.

I am the stake clerk. Who should I contact to go about correcting the boundaries?
thank you
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've been told the only way to change this is to submit a boundary change request... the official document.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
colbyj

Post by colbyj »

wow, ok... thanks
bishopbarber

Re: correcting unit boundaries shown in lds.org "maps"

Post by bishopbarber »

I don't know colbyj, and as far as I know, we're not in the same unit, but I'd like to try reposting colbyj's question, but possibly in a different format. :

When looking up addresses on the map, I note that addresses across the street, that are not in our ward, come up showing that they are in our ward. The street numbering sequence is very basic and simple in Brigham City. I would think there is a way to correct the logic in the church mapping system to reolve the issue without submitting a boundary change. I'm not looking for a boundary change, only a correction on the maps for the sake of those looking for the correct unit related to a specific address.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bishopbarber wrote:I would think there is a way to correct the logic in the church mapping system to resolve the issue without submitting a boundary change. I'm not looking for a boundary change, only a correction on the maps for the sake of those looking for the correct unit related to a specific address.
So are you saying that the boundary is correct, but the Church's system is incorrectly determining that an address is on the wrong side of that boundary line? Because that would be a significant problem that should be fixed in the system -- it wouldn't be related to your particular boundary, but would be a bigger issue.

But if the boundary line is incorrect, then it has to be changed by submitting the boundary change paperwork. There's simply no other way to do it.
bishopbarber

Post by bishopbarber »

Grrr. By the time I typed my reply, the system had autologged me out...

Yes, I am saying the Church's system is incorrectly determining that an address is on the wrong side of that boundary line.

However, upon further testing, I note that inputting a correct address yields a correct response. Inputting a "guess" that is not correct, but in the correct numbering sequence for that side of the street, it shows the wrong ward.

Example: 475 E 600 S shows Brigham City 11th ward. 473 E 600 S shows Brigham City Mountain View Ward. 335 E 600 south shows 11th ward. 337 E 600 S shows Lake View. Odd umbered houses are all on the 11th ward side.

I realize this is a little picky, but the issue came to our sttention when we received a membership record with an "estimated" address that was actually in the 11th ward, but because it was looked up using what they thought was a correct address, it was sent to our ward. Hope I'm making sense..
bishopbarber

Post by bishopbarber »

Why does this silly system kick me out so quickly?....?
paulhilbig

Post by paulhilbig »

We have the same issue in our stake and were told to submit a boundary change request too -- the same paperwork required to actually change a ward boundary. It seems odd that the only way to update the online map to reflect the original boundaries is to submit a request that would eventually go across the First Presidencies desk. It only affected a few houses so we decided to let it be.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bishopbarber wrote:Why does this silly system kick me out so quickly?....?
If you go to a church site with "http" and not "https", you'll be kicked out. (Yes, it's a pain.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bishopbarber

Post by bishopbarber »

Arrgh... I'm in https://tech.lds.org/forum..... Still drops me like a bad investigator.. ;)

It makes zero sense to request a ward boundary change if no boudaries need changing. This appears to be a bug in the addressing system of the lds maps application. Address rules, especially in Utah, are generally pretty basic and should easily be coded into the search parameters.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”