DHCP reserve list for leadership

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
hotletterbox

DHCP reserve list for leadership

Post by hotletterbox »

Is it possible to assign DHCP to leadership, with or without password protection. For the purpose of maintaining leadership access during peak use times?
Can I assign a leaders MAC address to a DHCP?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: DHCP reserve list for leadership

Post by russellhltn »

While some things are theoretically possible, we don't have access to the DHCP. The only options open to us is static IPs. But that's to going to be a pain to manage. Especially since different buildings use the same ID but have different IPs available.

A better plan might be to simply increase the pool so you don't run out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:A better plan might be to simply increase the pool so you don't run out.
I second that. If a shortage of IP addresses is truly your problem, the solution is only a phone call away.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
john84601

Post by john84601 »

hotletterbox wrote:Is it possible to assign DHCP to leadership, with or without password protection. For the purpose of maintaining leadership access during peak use times?
Can I assign a leaders MAC address to a DHCP?
What you are referring to is commonly called a DHCP Reservation. It assigns a reserved IP address to a specific MAC address. This would be managed by the local DCHP server, which in this case would be the Cisco 881w in your building. Since the church doesn't allow us access to these... you can't do it yourself. It seems unlikely that they will be willing to do such a specific cusotmization for your.

This would make an interestin feature for the firewall manager.
hotletterbox

Post by hotletterbox »

Thanks John84
It is how I manage my home network, MAC security access for 9 DHCP.
It would indeed be a nice feature for TM.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”