local manual switch in TM to disable wireless

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
hotletterbox

local manual switch in TM to disable wireless

Post by hotletterbox »

Is there any update as to when this is likely, time frame? guesstimate?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: local manual switch in TM to disable wireless

Post by russellhltn »

The church rarely gives us any time lines. None have been announced for this feature.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
paulscherbel
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by paulscherbel »

We are working to allow an STS, under the direction of a stake president, to disable an 881W's wireless, as well as all 1041N APs that are connected to it.
hotletterbox

Post by hotletterbox »

Thank you for the response.
My Stake Presidency is looking forward to this function as much as I am, due to our need to use web-casting on a regular basis; distance to outer-most Branch - 4 hours drive.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I hope you are manually completing the process rather than waiting for a tool to appear. Typically the hardware can be accessed and physically removed
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
hotletterbox

Post by hotletterbox »

I disconnect the AP's easy enough but there doesn't seem enough room to deal with the 881w antenna. Might try it next broadcast.
(AP's offline and I still get 5 bars on laptop from the 881w - through about 4 walls 20m away)
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

In our Stake I have the AP's on a good surge protector that has a switch, flip it and its instant off. As for the 881 just remove the three antennas and that will kill the signal down to about 8-10 feet.

If you need to kill it completely just get some metal screen (like for a screen door) and make a U shaped cover to fit over the 881's antenna ports. No signal.
Roland
hotletterbox

Post by hotletterbox »

thanks

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”