Adoption, MLS, & New Family Search. Org Problem

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Daryl1

Adoption, MLS, & New Family Search. Org Problem

Post by Daryl1 »

Problem: Recently we had a family adopt two more individuals. This family had two previous adopted individuals. This member recently took the new family search class in the Ward Unit. Member then registered at new dot family search dot org. Looking at his current living family it shows all four children of his adopted family members as he the father being the biological father when it should show the children as adopted. Same goes with the mother.

He & his spouse have now flaged this in dispute.:(

Does anyone know if software engineers will be fixing this bug soon so we can record the living correctly in MLS and have it display correct information over at the new family search site?

MLS needs to be able to record the adoptive parents as stated on the adoption paper work but then somehow flag and show children and or adopted family members as adopted not bioligical over on the new family search dot org site.

This is important so we do not perpetuate incorrect information regarding the living now to future generations!

Thank you.
1historian-p40

Post by 1historian-p40 »

It is possable to fix but you must send a message through mls to salt lake they will ask that the bishop view the addoption papers and that you then send a request through the special request option in membership. I origionaly had a problem in our ward with a member who had his step father listed in new family search as the biological and after about a month of dealling with new family search help and membership help we were finnaly able to get it ressolved
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

Thank you. I will now try going though Special Requests. If this works I then only have three more families to go through this with.:( Thank you for the help. Maybe in the future someone will repair this bug in MLS 2.8 so we do not have to spend months to make adopted children appear correctly on the new family search site.

Let me try this. I will report back what happens soon.
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

Adopted information entered into MLS 2.8 is not working with the new family search site. There is a broken link. The data entered always shows adopted children as biological on the View Relationships screen for the living over at the new family search dot org site. I am confident and hopeful that the software developers will repair this problem soon. Using the MLS Special Requests feature did not help.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

MLS only deals with legal guardians. It has no reason to distinguish between biological or adoptive parents.

Because MLS data is an official church record and contains useful family relationship data, it is among the sources used to populate the new.FamilySearch.org database.

FamilySearch assumes that the legal guardians listed in MLS are biological parents, regardless.

FamilySearch needs to add a new category of "legal gardians" instead of just assuming that "legal guardians" are "biological parents" (this "fix" is not likely to happen).

MLS needs to distinguish between biological and adoptive instead of just legal (even less likely to happen).

There is no "fix" that can be made to either or both MLS and FamilySearch that doesn't create more problems and assumptions than it resolves.

The simplest solution is for the member to add an explanatory note to the FamilySearch record(s) affected that details the exact relationships.
Mr. Techno wrote:He & his spouse have now flagged this in dispute.
That is one of the ways to annotate the affected FamilySearch records.

I believe that an alternative is to add information to the FamilySearch record instead of disputing it. This method also provides space for explanatory text to be added. I don't know for sure because even though I participated in the beta of new.familySearch.org, it hasn't gone live yet in my area, and it has been more than a year since I tinkered with it.
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

Jbh001

Thank you for the clarification on the issue MLS & the New Family Search Site is having distinguishing living Legal Gardians of adopted children as biological only.

I believe the developers read these forums and that they will work together and repair this important broken link between MLS and the New Family Search Site is having regarding living adoptions.

If this repair is not likely to happen then I then agree with you Jbh001, that then our work will be in vain and we will be perpetating false information to future generations for them to sort out later. Also many members who are living and have adopted families are going to be disgruntled.

Be of good cheer. I know this will be resolved soon. That is why the New Family Search Site has not gone live world over and is still in Beta repair and testing in just a few Temple Districts.

scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Mr. Techno wrote:Thank you. I will now try going though Special Requests. If this works I then only have three more families to go through this with.:( Thank you for the help. Maybe in the future someone will repair this bug in MLS 2.8 so we do not have to spend months to make adopted children appear correctly on the new family search site.

Let me try this. I will report back what happens soon.
The more I read about NFS, the more frustrated I get. We really shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to untangle messes created by NFS--just like we did when AF merged people incorrectly--only now we have a much larger database to fix. I am less inclined to work on cleaning up another database (as we are being instructed to do), than to continue working on my own family.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind that nFS still isn't up to V 1.0. Also, nFS is the beginning of moving from personal database to the collaborative work of the family of man. While I can understand waiting until some of the bigger bugs are fixed, I wouldn't hold out too long (years) and taking the risk that your family is not included.

Your own experience with nFS is completely dependent on who else is working on your line. Yes, some people are having problems. But then again some people get in their car and get killed by a careless driver or have other tragedy befall them. That doesn't mean you will experience the same, or that it's a bad idea to leave home.

Return to “Membership Help”