lesson schedule for the year 2013

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
tino

lesson schedule for the year 2013

Post by tino »

I just want a simple schedule of the year for the lessons in Sunday School so we know we are on target and teaching the right lessons for that week.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: lesson schedule for the year 2013

Post by jdlessley »

So do you think the Lesson Schedules tool is complicated or difficult?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
petastokes

Post by petastokes »

tino wrote:I just want a simple schedule of the year for the lessons in Sunday School so we know we are on target and teaching the right lessons for that week.
Me too, I can't find a sunday school lesson schedule easily on this site
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If you can't find it then it probably has not been created or set up. Contact a ward administrator to set it up. Presidencies of organizations can also set up classes for their organization.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
EDHUMPHERYS

Post by EDHUMPHERYS »

tino wrote:I just want a simple schedule of the year for the lessons in Sunday School so we know we are on target and teaching the right lessons for that week.
I'm in the same situation. What happened to everyone being on the same lesson throughout the church on any given Sunday? How is "scheduling your lesson" any different than being what was previously considered "off schedule"? The only difference I see is that when you are teaching a lesson different than the rest of the church you are now considered "on schedule" because it is "planned". Previously ALL lessons were correlated and now that appears to have gone by the wayside.(?) Since this "scheduling" can be done on a ward basis how can the stake have each ward "singing on the same page" so to speak, or does it simply not matter anymore?
What am I missing here? Help me understand.
Thanks
Eugene Humpherys
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Main problem of perfect coordination is different times for ward and stake conferences. There are still the same number of lessons but when they are given can differ by a week or two. Though when I put in the lessons the list is usually prepopulated with the "official" schedule.
EDHUMPHERYS

Post by EDHUMPHERYS »

It is the "official" schedule that I would like to have the wards in our stake adhere to. I'm not a rocket scientist, but even I can factor in ward and stake conferences.

The feedback I get is basically that we can be "on schedule" because it is on the calendar regardless of which lesson is taught. When I go to lds.org and click on lesson schedule I expect to have access to the "official" schedule. Not only do I NOT get the "official" schedule, the ONLY "schedule" presented is the local schedule.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Several years ago, we had a stake Sunday School President who tried to mandate a strict schedule for all classes in all wards and branches in the stake. I tried to explain to him that Sunday School lesson schedules were determined at the local unit level, but he persisted, and the stake president backed him up. He sent out spreadsheets for all adult and youth classes to the local units, and visited each unit to see if they were in compliance.

At the same time, we had a stake Relief Society President with a similar attitude toward lesson schedules. When we had stake conferences fall on a second or third Sunday, she refused to allow the local units to teach those lessons on the first, fourth, or fifth Sundays.

It just didn't work. Lesson schedules naturally shifted due to weather cancellations, stake conferences, and unit conferences. We tried to encourage members to study the skipped lessons at home on their own, but that just didn't work.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Ah so to reiterate what you are saying. You would like to see the lesson everyone should be on, not the one that they are going to be teaching? So say the second Sunday of the year should be lesson 2 but because ward conference happened on the 1st Sunday they are going to teach lesson 1 on the 2nd Sunday, you would like to see that they should be teaching lesson 2?

Please note that there are only 46 lessons in the manual so there are 6 spots for the ward to work around (2 ward conferences, 2 stake conferences and 2 general conference) so that every ward can get through all the material while adjusting the schedule for their ward.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

What happened to everyone being on the same lesson throughout the church on any given Sunday?
Everyone uses the same general curriculum, but there is no "church" schedule of lessons.

Under the current Church curriculum guidelines, wards set the Sunday School lesson schedule. EQ and RS presidencies and HP group leaders set the 1st Sunday schedule. Bishoprics set the 5th Sunday schedule. Stakes set the 2nd and 3rd week schedule. For the 4th week the stake sets the schedule or delegates it to the bishopric.

So the only real coordination needed outside the ward is with the 2nd and 3rd Sunday priesthood and Relief Society lessons (and maybe the 4th Sunday conference topic).

Before the beginning of each year, our stake sends out information outlining the schedule of 2nd and 3rd Sunday priesthood and RS lessons. They delegate the 4th Sunday lesson topic to the bishopric.

I attended three priesthood meetings on a 3rd Sunday recently and enjoyed three different lessons. Each quorum/group thought they were teaching the correct lesson outlined on the stake schedule.

Intrigued, I checked and found that two RS lessons were on the correct schedule and one was not. According to the curriculum, on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Sundays, the priesthood and RS lessons should match. In two of the three cases they did, one because they were following the stake schedule, and one because they accidentally followed the same wrong schedule.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”