Add adult child to member's record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
nathangrigg

Add adult child to member's record

Post by nathangrigg »

Here is my situation: A member in our ward has a daughter who is not listed among her children when I print the member's individual ordinance summary.

The (adult) daughter is a member, but lives in a different ward.

I want to add the daughter to the member's record. When using the "Add child" function inside MLS, I have the option to create a new record, link an existing record, or add the child information without creating a record. The first is no good and the second only allows me to choose records from within the ward.

The third option allows me to add the child to the record, but does not seem to link to the daughter's membership record, the way children normally are linked. In particular the "Original confirm date" of the IOS is left blank.

Ideas?
Gary_Miller

Re: Add adult child to member's record

Post by Gary_Miller »

By chance is this daughter a step daughter. If so she would not be on the mothers record only the fathers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:By chance is this daughter a step daughter. If so she would not be on the mothers record only the fathers.
Correct. MLS can only track one set of "parents". That's typically the legally recognized parents. So you need to be aware of anything that might have caused the woman to lose her legal parent status.

As for the "link to existing" make sure that selecting from the members of the ward is the only option. Many times MLS provides that as a quick way of doing things, but you can enter the information you know.

The alternative is a Special Request
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nathangrigg

Post by nathangrigg »

Gary_Miller wrote:By chance is this daughter a step daughter. If so she would not be on the mothers record only the fathers.
The daughter was baptized a couple of months before her mother. My theory is that they just never got linked properly, although I have no knowledge of how this kind of linking happens.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nathangrigg wrote:The daughter was baptized a couple of months before her mother. My theory is that they just never got linked properly, although I have no knowledge of how this kind of linking happens.
That seems logical. Please see my prior post for suggestions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Go to the mothers individual record. Under the children section select add child you should then be able to type in the child's information. Before hand gather the following information, full given name of the child (maiden name not married name), date of birth, and if you can get the membership number of the daughter. This should allow you to add the child to the mothers record.

Since I'm do not have MLS in front of me I'm doing this from memory so I could be off a little on the instructions. When I'm at the clerks office tonight I will double check the process.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Gary_Miller wrote:Go to the mothers individual record. Under the children section select add child you should then be able to type in the child's information. Before hand gather the following information, full given name of the child (maiden name not married name), date of birth, and if you can get the membership number of the daughter. This should allow you to add the child to the mothers record.

Since I'm do not have MLS in front of me I'm doing this from memory so I could be off a little on the instructions. When I'm at the clerks office tonight I will double check the process.
The one thing missing here is that when you select Add Child it gives you three options (as the OP indicated): select child from a record in MLS, create a new record, or add the child to the current membership record. If you select this last option you can type the child's information in as Gary indicated. If you get the full name and either birthdate or membership number entered correctly the record should get linked to the child's membership record but things like the confirmation date won't show up until you've done a Send/Receive, waited for CHQ to fully process the change (and I don't know how long this kind of change takes) and then do another Send/Receive.

If, after waiting a week or so, the confirmation date still doesn't show up then I'd send the information in a Special Request and ask them to make sure it's linked correctly (there might be a problem blocking the link--for instance if the child has conflicting/incorrect parent information already entered).
nathangrigg

Post by nathangrigg »

Things like the confirmation date won't show up until you've done a Send/Receive, waited for CHQ to fully process the change (and I don't know how long this kind of change takes) and then do another Send/Receive.
Thanks everyone. I gave this a try and I'll wait patiently to see what happens.
nathangrigg

Post by nathangrigg »

In the end, everything worked out. I sent a special request and the record was linked. It is possible that if I had waited longer it would have worked itself out on its own.

To be clear, I added the child by viewing the children tab of the membership record, clicking "Add child", and selecting "Add the child to this member's record".

Return to “Membership Help”