Information about ordinance proxies

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
lfalin-p40

Information about ordinance proxies

Post by lfalin-p40 »

I sat down this afternoon to look up my grandfather on FamilySearch. I was excited to see that once you log in with your membership number and confirmation date, that you can see ordinance information for your ancestors.

I was really excited to see that someone had already done the ordinance work for my grandfather, this was exciting to me because I joined the church when I was 18 and don't know anyone else in my family who is a member. I thought, it sure would be nice to be able to see who did this ordinance. I could see that they did it in Washington DC, in 2002, but the submitter information was blank.

When I looked again at the search results, I saw my grandfather listed again. Same name, same birth information, same parents, however this entry showed his ordinances being performed in Columbia in 2006.
Now I REALLY wanted to get in contact with these people (if nothing else just to stop the duplicate work).

So I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to contact the people performing these ordinances.
2. Being that we have all of these ultra-sophisticated database analysis techniques, can't we prevent people from doing duplicate temple work, I mean just having part of temple ready search the IGI would be sufficient I would think to stop the majority of the duplicates.

Lee
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lfalin wrote:1. Is there a way to contact the people performing these ordinances.
I'm sure someone will have the details, but the short answer is: maybe. What information did you see about the submitter?
lfalin wrote:2. Being that we have all of these ultra-sophisticated database analysis techniques, can't we prevent people from doing duplicate temple work, I mean just having part of temple ready search the IGI would be sufficient I would think to stop the majority of the duplicates.
You'd think. But not always. The TempleReady program only checks a set of CDs that haven't been updated since 2000. So the folks that did the work in 2006 may not have been aware that it was done in 2002.

The church is currently undergoing a major change-over in the whole database system making it on-line. Check the threads on "New FamilySearch" or nFS.
garysturn

newFamilySearch

Post by garysturn »

lfalin wrote:I sat down this afternoon to look up my grandfather on FamilySearch. I was excited to see that once you log in with your membership number and confirmation date, that you can see ordinance information for your ancestors.

I was really excited to see that someone had already done the ordinance work for my grandfather, this was exciting to me because I joined the church when I was 18 and don't know anyone else in my family who is a member. I thought, it sure would be nice to be able to see who did this ordinance. I could see that they did it in Washington DC, in 2002, but the submitter information was blank.

When I looked again at the search results, I saw my grandfather listed again. Same name, same birth information, same parents, however this entry showed his ordinances being performed in Columbia in 2006.
Now I REALLY wanted to get in contact with these people (if nothing else just to stop the duplicate work).

So I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to contact the people performing these ordinances.
2. Being that we have all of these ultra-sophisticated database analysis techniques, can't we prevent people from doing duplicate temple work, I mean just having part of temple ready search the IGI would be sufficient I would think to stop the majority of the duplicates.
Lee

newFamilySearch will show you a contact name and eventually will have contact information as it is rolled out to all the Temple districts. People will be able to claim their submissions and you will then be able to contact them from within newFamilySearch. newFamilySearch will also prevent duplicate ordinances, it is in use or announced in over 50 Temples now. There are some slide shows showing some screen views of newFamilySearch at this site:
newfamilyhistory.googlepages.com/fhconsultantlinks
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

GarysTurn wrote:newFamilySearch will also prevent duplicate ordinances,
Just a quibble: I'd say that nFS will help prevent duplicate ordinances. It's not infallible and I'm sure there will still be duplicates. But hopefully it will cut it down to acceptable levels.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

When will extractions be compared to existing completed temple ordinances? After years of focusing on large cities, small towns where my ancestors lived have finally been extracted and their templework has been done. Again. Also, I've had several instances where names or places have been revised to "standardize" them. Removing the surname so that Michael's work is done really does *not* contribute to reducing duplications.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

scion wrote:When will extractions be compared to existing completed temple ordinances? After years of focusing on large cities, small towns where my ancestors lived have finally been extracted and their templework has been done. Again. Also, I've had several instances where names or places have been revised to "standardize" them. Removing the surname so that Michael's work is done really does *not* contribute to reducing duplications.

Here is another place where I was personally [privately] attacked for being "critical". Given these situations, I do not see how the latest software program will *decrease* duplications. These issues are *increasing* duplication. I did not say that I liked or approved of the duplication, just pointed out ways that I observe this objective not being met. Leaving the places and names as submitted will decrease duplications. Changing them--especially to completely non-related places and without feedback to & from the submitter--does not help. Pointing out shortcomings in a beta should be desirable, not frowned upon. However, this forum is more of a cheerleading group than an idea generator when it comes to nFS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scion wrote:Here is another place where I was personally attacked for being "critical".
Can you clarify on that? There are no messages on this thread between your post and the post you reference. It's hard to see where you've been attacked. Personal attacks are not allowed. Disagreement with any ideas expressed is not a personal attack and well within forum rules.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

It was posted to me personally, not to the forums. No names or explanations were provided.

I realize that pointing out errors or problems in software is, by its very nature, critical. However, when software development is happening, feedback from end users is vital.

I am also currently a beta tester for software at work. On a recent crash item (it would not find search results, rendering the program useless), a developer came down and watched me search & the program crash. Long story short, until he watched me, the programming team did not understand our typical search scenario. The same thing is true of nFS and other programs.

I want nFS to work just as much as the next person. That is why I persist at providing feedback--whether it's a frozen screen, getting "timed out" during downloads, navigation problems, or terms used in unfamiliar (non-genealogical) ways. For my sanity, I take breaks from nFS. Long breaks. Then I come back & have another go at it.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

scion wrote:It was posted to me personally, not to the forums. No names or explanations were provided.
It sounds like you are saying that someone sent you an anonymous private message. I don't know whether PMs can be sent anonymously on this forum.

Although I don't know what was contained in the PM, I am sorry that you felt or were attacked for providing feedback. Please understand, though, that since this was a private message, your public response to it lacks the context for the rest of us to make sense of where you are coming from.

Also, if the "attack" was truly anonymous, there is little way of knowing if it was truly from an official source or just someone's personal opinion however poorly and tactlessly expressed.

Since your post lacks the context of how you submitted the feedback (i.e. via this forum or some other feedback mechanism for nFS) we don't even know whether this is the most appropriate place to be discussing it. And I'm not sure whether it really pertains to the original thread or should be its own separate thread.

Regardless, I'm sure that the forums members will be as helpful as they can.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

People can use the "Reputation" link to leave an anonymous message about why they liked or disliked a particular post.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”