Approving Dist Cntr Charges to Ward Account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
scottarlo

Approving Dist Cntr Charges to Ward Account

Post by scottarlo »

So let's say the bishop does not approve an expense in the IROP. What can be done? Is there a way to reverse the charge from the Distribution Center? And how would the Distribution Center get paid for the delivered material?

I'm trying to point out how little control we have at the ward level to prevent abuse.
eblood66

Re: Expenses from store.lds.org and Staples

Post by eblood66 »

scottarlo wrote:So let's say the bishop does not approve an expense in the IROP. What can be done? Is there a way to reverse the charge from the Distribution Center? And how would the Distribution Center get paid for the delivered material?

I'm trying to point out how little control we have at the ward level to prevent abuse.
In general the Distribution Center will accept returns on most items and provide credit back.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the Expenses from store.lds.org and Staples thread because it discusses a different topic.]
scottarlo wrote:So let's say the bishop does not approve an expense in the IROP. What can be done?
First of all, the situation you describe is going to be quite rare for IROPs from the store.lds.org and from Staples Eway since a small number of leaders have the ability to charge to the ward account. The experience in our ward is that only the bishopric, executive secretary, ward clerk and all assistant ward clerks are the only ones with that capability.

I do not know about in person purchases at distribution center facilities because I've never looked in to it. I am guessing from the concern this is possible for members who can supply the unit number or some other type of information at the point of sale. Hopefully all purchases charged to the ward account are going to be made by members purchasing items necessary in fulfilling their callings. In this regard the bishop would approve the purchase because the Handbook states stake and ward budget funds should be used to pay for all activities, programs, and supplies and that members should not provide materials or supplies at their own expense in performing the duties of their callings. If the organization budget does not support the expenses then the bishop should counsel with the organization president, who then should counsel with the member purchasing for the organization.

If a purchase and charge were to be made for items not authorized, such as for personal use, then the bishop could require the member to return the items, if possible, or pay restitution.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Re: Approving Dist Cntr Charges to Ward Account

Post by Gary_Miller »

scottarlo wrote:I'm trying to point out how little control we have at the ward level to prevent abuse.
The solution is to only have one person responsible and authorized by the Bishop to make purchases. I my ward that is me, Finance Clerk, all distribution and Staple expenses are done by me and where allowed shipped to my address.

Note: All Purchase though Staples and some distribution items must be shipped to the Bishops address.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”