Calendar Usage Question

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
KeithWilson

Calendar Usage Question

Post by KeithWilson »

I have read through all the help and viewed the tutorials, but maybe I am missing something. How does someone with a stake calling, reserve something in their own building, and have it show up on the ward calendar? I can create new calendar items, but the only calendar I can write to is the stake calendar.

Also, we are having a problem with the create new event menu defaulting to "AM" time, and reservations are being made at 3 AM to 9 AM, not realizing this, another ward creates an event for the same location at 3 PM to 9 PM, and thus we have a conflict. Can we have some sort of warning that says, "You have selected AM in your reservation, please confirm". I know it would be a pain, but I say make it painful, it's more painful to arbitrate a conflict, especially when it's a funeral and a wedding.
Gary_Miller

Re: Calendar Usage Question

Post by Gary_Miller »

KeithWilson wrote:I have read through all the help and viewed the tutorials, but maybe I am missing something. How does someone with a stake calling, reserve something in their own building, and have it show up on the ward calendar? I can create new calendar items, but the only calendar I can write to is the stake calendar.
You have to be added as a ward editor by a ward administrator.
KeithWilson wrote:Also, we are having a problem with the create new event menu defaulting to "AM" time, and reservations are being made at 3 AM to 9 AM, not realizing this, another ward creates an event for the same location at 3 PM to 9 PM, and thus we have a conflict. Can we have some sort of warning that says, "You have selected AM in your reservation, please confirm". I know it would be a pain, but I say make it painful, it's more painful to arbitrate a conflict, especially when it's a funeral and a wedding.
On this you have to just pay attention to the times they are very specific and show AM or PM. Or you can just highlight the period of time you want on the calendar the click the area and your time will automatically be placed in the edit window.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:Or you can just highlight the period of time you want on the calendar the click the area and your time will automatically be placed in the edit window.
To clarify, this suggestion is to use Week View to create your events. In Week View you have the option of dragging your mouse across the hours of the particular day you want to schedule the event. For example, I could be looking at February 14 in Week View, and then I can click on the 4:00pm area of February 14 and then drag my mouse down to 8:00pm and let up the mouse. Then I will be taken to the event details screen with the 4:00-8:00pm time already filled in.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:
KeithWilson wrote:I have read through all the help and viewed the tutorials, but maybe I am missing something. How does someone with a stake calling, reserve something in their own building, and have it show up on the ward calendar? I can create new calendar items, but the only calendar I can write to is the stake calendar.
Unless I'm missing something, that only works if you're a member of that ward. In general, stake people can't add things to the ward calendar.

It would be nice, but that's just not the way it's set up.
Last edited by aebrown on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quote tags
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KeithWilson wrote:How does someone with a stake calling, reserve something in their own building, and have it show up on the ward calendar?
The big question here is why you want to have it show up on "the ward calendar" and what you mean by "ward calendar." Here are some possibilities:
  • You want to add a stake event but make sure that members of the wards see the event. In that case, I would say that a stake event should be on a stake calendar, and any member of your ward (or any other ward in the stake) will see that event as long as they are subscribed to the stake calendar that you put the event on.
  • You want to create a stake event, but you are concerned about someone else scheduling a conflicting event in the building, so you want to make sure that every other ward that meets in the building can see the event so they won't be tempted to schedule on top of your event. In that case, I'd recommend that you trust the conflict checking of the calendar system, as well as the fact that anyone can use Week View to see what is scheduled in the building, if that's what they really want to do.
  • You want to add an event for your own ward to your ward's calendar and think that a stake leader should be able to do that. In that case, I'd disagree and say that you should let your ward leaders take care of scheduling ward events.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, that only works if you're a member of that ward. In general, stake people can't add things to the ward calendar.

It would be nice, but that's just not the way it's set up.
From the bold scrip above I took it for granted that it was for his ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:You want to add an event for your own ward to your ward's calendar and think that a stake leader should be able to do that. In that case, I'd disagree and say that you should let your ward leaders take care of scheduling ward events.
There was a nice feature in the old system where the stake could enter an event on the stake calendar and "push it down" to specific ward calendars. That was useful for events like Ward Conference where it's the stake that's schedules it, but it has a very direct impact on the ward (beyond simply using the building).

That feature is not available in the current system. You can place it on a stake calendar for planning, but you'll probably have to rely on the ward leaders to get the word out. (Since I doubt that most members would subscribe to a calendar that's lists all the ward's conferences.) The only alternative is to create a stake calendar for each ward with the expectation that the members of the ward will subscribe to it. But given the number of events that impact the general membership, I don't know as it will work too well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:You want to add an event for your own ward to your ward's calendar and think that a stake leader should be able to do that. In that case, I'd disagree and say that you should let your ward leaders take care of scheduling ward events.
There was a nice feature in the old system where the stake could enter an event on the stake calendar and "push it down" to specific ward calendars. That was useful for events like Ward Conference where it's the stake that's schedules it, but it has a very direct impact on the ward (beyond simply using the building).

That feature is not available in the current system. You can place it on a stake calendar for planning, but you'll probably have to rely on the ward leaders to get the word out. (Since I doubt that most members would subscribe to a calendar that's lists all the ward's conferences.) The only alternative is to create a stake calendar for each ward with the expectation that the members of the ward will subscribe to it. But given the number of events that impact the general membership, I don't know as it will work too well.
I think it best for the wards to just add stake events that pertain to their individual ward to the ward calendars.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think it best for the wards to just add stake events that pertain to their individual ward to the ward calendars.
Old way:
  • Create an event on the stake calendar, check a box to push it to the ward.
Pretty hard to ignore.

New way:
  • Create a event on the stake calender (for stake planning purposes).
  • Send email to ward leaders to let them know the schedule
  • Trust the ward leaders to follow though or require them to report back.
The old way was simpler. Just say'in.

Return to “Calendar”