Training window off screen

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sebown

Training window off screen

Post by sebown »

When I watch the "The Roll of the Ward Clerk" training video the bottom part of the window is off screen. The scroll bar on the right does not move the training presentation window. This happens with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Internet Explorer. To see the bottom part of the screen I need to decrease the font size (Ctrl -).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Training window off screen

Post by jdlessley »

I am not seeing this. I tested on Firefox and Chrome with no issues.

Try using Ctrl-0 to set the browser window to the default display size before starting the video. It may be that you have zoomed the display too far.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The question might be how big is his screen (in pixels).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sebown

Post by sebown »

My screen size is 1024 by 768 pixels. The problem happens when the browser window is the default display size.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Is that your screen size or the window size? If it is your screen size, have you tried enlarging your browser display area or even maximizing it to fit the entire screen?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I did some testing. I found that a screen size of 768 pixels high is inadequate to display the entire video display box even with the browser maximized to fill the entire screen. The problem is created because the video display box has a set size and the video display box is in a fixed position relative to the top of the browser display window and cannot be moved.

The border from the top of the video display box to the top of the page is about 120 pixels. The video box itself is about 655 pixels. Therefore the minim browser window display area needed to display the entire height of the video box is 775 pixels. When the browser display area reaches 750 pixels or less then the bottom of the video box is blocked enough to begin to remove video and video controls from view. Of course the browser itself takes additional display area height for the browser top border, menu bar, tab titles, and any tool bars.

The number of toolbars displayed at the top or bottom of the browser reduces the available display area. With just the menu bar, tab titles, address bar and one other toolbar displayed in Firefox and using a monitor screen height of 768 pixels the bottom video controls only had the top third available for access. If a user has a 768 screen height and has their Windows taskbar set to be always displayed then the screen effective height is even less and then the only video control accessible is the top 2/3 of the play/pause button.

I can think of at least three programming solutions to accommodate monitor screen sizes at or less than 768 pixels.

For now I recommend users with screen sizes at 768 pixels is to get the maximum display height as you can control available. Maximize your browser to fill your screen. Remove all toolbars from your browser during the time you will be viewing training videos. Set your taskbar to auto-hide to free up more screen real estate. You can also reduce the browser zoom below the default. This of course will make the video smaller. The smallest zoom size would be a personal limit.
JD Lessley
sebown

Post by sebown »

jdlessley wrote:The problem is created because the video display box has a set size and the video display box is in a fixed position relative to the top of the browser display window and cannot be moved.
It would be helpful if the position of the display box were not fixed. There is a fair amount of unused space between the top of the display box and the top of the browser display window. If I could move the display box relative to the browser display window, I would not have to decease the browser zoom so much.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”