Multicast on Meetinghouse network

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ryan8382

Multicast on Meetinghouse network

Post by ryan8382 »

Does anyone know if Multicast is enabled on the network? I'm asking because i think that Apple TV's would be good to use to stream the content from a laptop or iOS device. I think that there is also an android app but have not had a chance to test it.

I did bring an Apple TV to the Stake Center and the airplay option shows up briefly but when you try and stream over it, the symbol disappears and nothing happens on TV. I know there is an option for Multicast on Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers 4402 and 5508 and would imagine that there is something on the Controller in this case.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Multicast on Meetinghouse network

Post by russellhltn »

Not sure. But others have noted that there may be more then one pool of IPs. If the two devices in question end up with IPs from the different pools, they may not be able to talk to each other as they would end up in different subnets.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ryan8382

Post by ryan8382 »

If there are different pools I don't know what they are. Also they were on the same subnet. When multicast is enabled it will allow the streams to go accross subnets. I will post the an article later on configuration on WLC's.
ryan8382

Post by ryan8382 »

Here is an article i used to enable multicast on the WLAN's at work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/t ... c10d.shtml
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The settings are all controlled by Global Service Center. If you are the STS, you can try and call them to see if they will do that, but I'm sure there's some universal settings they want to stick to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
john84601

Post by john84601 »

WIRED: In wired networks multicast works similar to a broadcast and doesn't need to be enabled. In fact, your only real option is whether or not to enable 'IGMP Snooping' or not. Usually advanced setups (and licensing) are required when you turn it on at the router (which you don't want to do). See also PIM Dense, PIM Sparse or PIM Sparse-Dense (Cisco).

WIRELESS: I'm not aware (but it could exist) of a multicast filter on WAPs. If this is the case, good luck getting it changed.
davelane

Post by davelane »

In our Stake we have had issues with running out of IP address, which we solved by requesting additional addresses from GSC. However a whole new problem emerged, nothing is that easy. We have several TV's that are connected with AppleTV devices, now sometimes users can't find them with their IOS or Android devices. When GSC adds IP addresses they do it in three different subnets and unless DHCP assigns the two devices on the same subnet the cannot see each other. I contacted GSC and asked if we could get a subnet that would accomodate 256 IP addresses, they were somewhat unsympathetic to the problem. The tech stated that they only would configure the firewalls this way and our only option would be to reset the firewall and go back to the default IP address range. We do have a roboust internet connection that would easily handle the traffic, the biggest challenge is LDS.Org is often unavailable on Sundays due to what I would assume is a great volume of traffic.To work arround that issue we have a media server that we have cached all the church video content on so that teachers,Bishoprics etc. can access the content when lds.org in unavailable. Unfortunatly the subnet issue limits the effectiveness of the server. Any work arround suggestions would be appreciated. This problem is very frustrating in that the curriculum for YM, YW, SS and even Primary call for multimedia content almost every week.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davelane wrote:To work arround that issue we have a media server that we have cached all the church video content on so that teachers,Bishoprics etc. can access the content when lds.org in unavailable. Unfortunatly the subnet issue limits the effectiveness of the server. Any work arround suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you accessing your media server by name or IP? If by name, what happens if you switch to IP?

davelane

Post by davelane »

By name, Good idea, give it a static address and distribute that and seee if can befound by browser?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If it can't work by IP, it's not going to work. There may be more then one solution, but trying by IP is a starting point.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”