Visiting Teaching a Non Member

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
soilsqueezer

Visiting Teaching a Non Member

Post by soilsqueezer »

We have a non-member wife in our ward who attends church regularly and accepts visiting teachers into her home. I can't figure out how to add her name to the visiting teaching routes. Is this possible?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Visiting Teaching a Non Member

Post by jdlessley »

soilsqueezer wrote:Is this possible?
Not through MLS. Only those sisters with membership records, or out of unit records, within the ward can be added to VT routes. I am guessing the lack of a birthdate for a nonmember record prevents them from appearing on the list of sisters in the ward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you create a non-member record for her in MLS and manually put her in the RS, it's possible that she might show up for VT.

That would be the only way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:
soilsqueezer wrote:Is this possible?
Not through MLS. Only those sisters with membership records, or out of unit records, within the ward can be added to VT routes. I am guessing the lack of a birthdate for a nonmember record prevents them from appearing on the list of sisters in the ward.
I was able to add a non-member sister to a VT companionship in the test unit in MLS. I added the non-member record, manually added the sister to the Relief Society organization and then added her to a companionship.

Of course, the non-member record should only be added with the non-member's permission but in this case it doesn't sound like that should be a problem.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote:I added ... the sister to the Relief Society organization ...
I left this step out. That would explain why I could not find her on the list to add to a companionship.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
soilsqueezer

Post by soilsqueezer »

Thank you for your help!
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

jdlessley wrote:I am guessing the lack of a birthdate for a nonmember record prevents them from appearing on the list of sisters in the ward.
I have the opposite problem. I created a nonmember record for the wife, including her birthdate (with permission) and added the wife to the husband's record. The nonmember wife now shows up on the visiting teaching list as not being visited. Do I have to remove her birthdate to get her off that list? She does not have (or want) visiting teachers but it ok with home teachers visiting the family. The RS president would like her name off the VT Statistics report.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sasgrw wrote:
jdlessley wrote:I am guessing the lack of a birthdate for a nonmember record prevents them from appearing on the list of sisters in the ward.
I have the opposite problem. I created a nonmember record for the wife, including her birthdate (with permission) and added the wife to the husband's record. The nonmember wife now shows up on the visiting teaching list as not being visited. Do I have to remove her birthdate to get her off that list? She does not have (or want) visiting teachers but it ok with home teachers visiting the family. The RS president would like her name off the VT Statistics report.
Removing the birth date is the only way I know of. If MLS knows she is at least 18, it will automatically include her in VT lists.

And removing the birth date is tricky, since it doesn't exist on her nonmember record -- it is simply part of the spouse information on the husband's membership record. And at least on the test installation of MLS, you can't edit the birth date information for a nonmember spouse. It looks like you have to remove her completely (nonmember record, and spouse information on the husband's record) and add her info again from scratch, this time omitting the birth date.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:
sasgrw wrote:I have the opposite problem. I created a nonmember record for the wife, including her birthdate (with permission) and added the wife to the husband's record. The nonmember wife now shows up on the visiting teaching list as not being visited. Do I have to remove her birthdate to get her off that list? She does not have (or want) visiting teachers but it ok with home teachers visiting the family. The RS president would like her name off the VT Statistics report.
Removing the birth date is the only way I know of. If MLS knows she is at least 18, it will automatically include her in VT lists.

And removing the birth date is tricky, since it doesn't exist on her nonmember record -- it is simply part of the spouse information on the husband's membership record. And at least on the test installation of MLS, you can't edit the birth date information for a nonmember spouse. It looks like you have to remove her completely (nonmember record, and spouse information on the husband's record) and add her info again from scratch, this time omitting the birth date.
And I'm not sure that that is an appropriate thing to do just to satisfy the RS president's desire to adjust the VT statistics. Since the sister is a non-member she won't be included in the number of sisters to be visited on the quarterly report anyway. Only the MLS statistics would be affected. Eliminating correct membership information from a record does not seem like the right thing to do.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”