Events Vs Reservations

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RandomEcho

Events Vs Reservations

Post by RandomEcho »

So I have just recently been called as the building scheduler for my building and as such I have the ability to add "Reservations" to the calendar for people and reserve different locations in the building for vaious reason. members of those organizations within the ward have the ability to add "Events" to the calendar and effectivly reserve the facilities for themselves.

The problem I am running into is that now that I have added "Reservations" they don't show up on the default monthly calendar that most people look at where as the "Events" do. to see the reservations on the calendar you have to change to the weekly/Daily View.

Is there a better way to handle this I have people requestion times and looking at the monthly view to see what is available and it is not giving them an accurate representation of what is really there..

also when adding a reservation it just simply puts it into the calendar as "Reserved the building and ward that reserved it" you have to click on the reservation to see what it is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Events Vs Reservations

Post by russellhltn »

The old model where everyone who wanted to use the building goes to the Building Scheduler is dead. As you've noticed, most everyone can do that for themselves. At this point you're more of a the referee when conflicts occurs.

The only purpose that "Reservations" was intended for was to designate Ward A has having the building on Tuesday nights and Ward B on Wednesday type of thing. It's really a “Scheduling Restriction” that prevents Ward B from scheduling any events on Ward A's night.

Note that using "Reservations" for events will lead to trouble. For example, if you reserve the Cultural Hall for Ward A's Relief Society, there's nothing to prevent Ward A's YM from scheduling a basketball game at the same time - because that reservation only restricts what unit can schedule - not what organization. But if the RS places an event - then the Cultural Hall is safely booked and no one else can schedule anything at that time for that room.

As for seeing what is available - have people switch to week view. Then they can see what events are happening at the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Events Vs Reservations

Post by aebrown »

I'd highly recommend that you read the Reservations topic in the Calendar help system, particularly the section on "Reservations versus Scheduled Events."

Return to “Calendar”