How come I cannot bookmark a page on lds.org for study?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
jamdesandre

How come I cannot bookmark a page on lds.org for study?

Post by jamdesandre »

Lately I've tried to book mark certain pages I need to go back to on my notes and journal page, but the bar at the bottom does not pop up. For instance, when I went to the church news and read Brother Becks article, "Arise and Shine Forth", there is not bar below to allow to bookmark. Is there a way this can be done?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: How come I cannot bookmark a page on lds.org for study?

Post by aebrown »

Content must be prepared in a special way in order for it to be integrated into Notes and Journal. When you come across content that doesn't work with Notes and Journal, all you can do is use the Feedback link on the page to request that it be fixed.
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote:Content must be prepared in a special way in order for it to be integrated into Notes and Journal.
Does this explain why sometimes there are portions of an article on which I can't create journal notes?

I've see this happen sometimes in manuals and other publications: Some text when I select it doesn't let me create a note, whereas other text in the some article lets me create notes. Usually the text where I can't create notes has different visual formatting than the rest of the article, such as bulleted text or a bolded paragraph.

Apologies if this is considered off topic for the thread; it seemed somewhat related so I kept it on the same thread.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:Does this explain why sometimes there are portions of an article on which I can't create journal notes? ...
Apologies if this is considered off topic for the thread; it seemed somewhat related so I kept it on the same thread.
Well, it's fairly closely related. The particular issue you are discussing is covered in the topic Bug with Highlights. That topic explains why the special formatting is not applied to certain portions of HTML content on pages that are otherwise formatted to be used with Notes and Journal.

This topic deals with the issue of entire pages not having the special formatting. Such pages might not have that formatting because the content teams haven't gotten to them yet, or perhaps because a decision has been made not to include them. To cite an extreme case of the latter category, I'm pretty confident that content here on the LDSTech Forum won't ever be formatted to be included in Notes and Journal. But there must be a fair amount of content which is on the list to be formatted, but is not yet done.
AnthonyBates

Post by AnthonyBates »

The response to this question makes it sound like the problem only pertains to certain content. Over the past 3-4 days I am not able to bookmark or highlight anything in the Book of Mormon, New Testament, or Doctrine and Covenants. Any recommendations?
mevans

Post by mevans »

I think your problem might be the same one as in this thread: Scripture marking not working.
loflorian

Post by loflorian »

I am having the same problem. When I access LDS.org from safari on my iPad, I cannot access the study helps (bookmarking articles, highlighting things etc . . .). :( EVERYTHING else works lika a charm! Thank you! This is an awesome resource!

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”