Reservations not booking for unit

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
danhblack

Reservations not booking for unit

Post by danhblack »

I have booked reservations in the past for a specific unit, and it blocks the location from other unit use. Recently, I can "double-book" a location without an error message. For example, the building can be reserved all day for a ward in our stake. But I can still add another reservation for specific times during that same day for a different unit. Am I doing something wrong?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Reservations not booking for unit

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, if you're using "reservations" for booking for events and not simply restricting scheduling.

Note that as a building scheduler your power supersedes the reservations.

As for doubling up on the same room with two reservations, I would consider that a bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:As for doubling up on the same room with two reservations, I would consider that a bug.
I'd have to agree with that, given the way reservations currently work; a double reservation has the effect of stopping anyone but Ward A from scheduling the room, and also stopping anyone but Ward B from scheduling the room. The result is exactly the same as a "Blocked" reservation, which can't possibly be a helpful behavior. So it would be much more helpful to report a conflict when the second reservation is created.

If double reservations worked differently, it could be entirely plausible that doubling up on reservations would be expected and useful behavior. Suppose that you want to allow the cultural hall to be schedulable by any ward that actually meets in the building, but you want to deny that ability to all other wards in the stake. You could create a reservation for each of the wards that meet in the building and let it be first come, first served among those wards. But that would require double reservations to work such that if a reservation were in place for Ward A and another for Ward B, the system would allow either ward to schedule an event. That's not currently the case.
TerryDM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TerryDM »

Suppose that you want to allow the cultural hall to be schedulable by any ward that actually meets in the building, but you want to deny that ability to all other wards in the stake. You could create a reservation for each of the wards that meet in the building and let it be first come, first served among those wards. But that would require double reservations to work such that if a reservation were in place for Ward A and another for Ward B, the system would allow either ward to schedule an event.
This should be exactly how the system should be working. It is designed to allow multiple reservations for a single resource. If it is not working this way then we have a bug.

Having the system work this way accommodate stakes like my own where all Mutual activities on on the same evening of the week (Wednesday). By allowing multiple restrictions the stake can prevent wards from outside those that mean in the building from scheduling any events on Wednesdays but still allow each of the wards that meet in the building to schedule the resources they need for their activities.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

terrydm wrote:This should be exactly how the system should be working. It is designed to allow multiple reservations for a single resource. If it is not working this way then we have a bug.
Then my testing shows that there is a bug. Here's what I did (with some names genericized):
  1. I created a reservation for Ward A for January 7 for the Cultural Hall.
  2. My wife is a calendar editor in Ward A; she created an event successfully for January 7 for the Cultural Hall (she then deleted that event).
  3. I created an additional reservation for Ward B for January 7 for the Cultural Hall (as has been reported many times, this does not report any conflict).
  4. My wife tried to create the exact same event as she created in step 2.
  5. A conflict with that new Ward B reservation was reported and she was unable to save the event.
Does anyone have a contrary experience? By that I mean: do you have reservations for two different units for the same room at the same time, and find that anyone (who is not a building scheduler) is able to schedule that room by creating an event?
TerryDM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TerryDM »

I will write up a bug and we will look at it for the next release. Thanks for the help and insight.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:
terrydm wrote:This should be exactly how the system should be working. It is designed to allow multiple reservations for a single resource. If it is not working this way then we have a bug.
Does anyone have a contrary experience? By that I mean: do you have reservations for two different units for the same room at the same time, and find that anyone (who is not a building scheduler) is able to schedule that room by creating an event?
No. My experience is identical to yours. And I see that terrydm has written a bug report.

The multiple reservations work (or rather do not) as Alan mentions. The reservation for Ward A seems to keep Ward B from scheduling an event, and the reservation for Ward B at the same time seems to keep Ward A from scheduling an event. The two reservations, together, block both wards from scheduling events. They do not function to "allow" either ward to schedule.

Return to “Calendar”