DSL repeatedly asks for login

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

DSL repeatedly asks for login

Post by drepouille »

One of the wards in my stake uses a DSL modem (Windstream) and a Cisco ASA 5505. Every day, perhaps more than once per day, the clerk is prompted by the ISP to login with the userid and password of the DSL account.

Do I need to call the Global Service Center, and ask them to configure the ASA to login with the userid and password each time it requests an IP?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Re: DSL repeatedly asks for login

Post by drepouille »

After reviewing other posts, I guess I can either configure the DSL modem or the ASA to provide the login credentials. I think I will call the ISP first, and ask them which method they would recommend. Maybe they will offer to send a new DSL modem.
josephrosecheney
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by josephrosecheney »

I would communicate the issue with the ISP first to see if they have some sort of resolution. It seems to be on the ISP side if it is asking for the login credentials.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I have had an experience with a DSL modem setup where the setup just didn't take. The quick-easy wizard setup lost the config for some reason when the modem rebooted. So... make sure whatever you do, reboot the modem after you are through to validate the change 'takes'. Save yourself a trip like I had.

ISP is where to start, they'll want you on site to do all the silly stuff they need you to do (it's silly as long as you've done all that already) --> I'd be prepared to be shipped a new modem.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

After I had reset the DSL modem back to factory defaults, and reconfigured it, I found that it was still rebooting itself every 5 or 10 minutes. So I called the ISP (Windstream), and they sent a new wireless DSL modem to the bishop's home (for $50).

The bishop installed it himself. He saw it was wireless, so he disconnected the 1401n WAP and configured the new DSL modem for wireless operation. When I learned that, I immediately told him to disable the wireless in the DSL modem, because it bypassed the firewall. It was actually a little funny, since he was so happy with the new wireless DSL modem.

We are paying $49.99 (minus a $10 bundling discount) for a 3 MB business DSL. However, speedtest.lds.org only showed 784 KB download speed with the old DSL modem. I will check the new one to see if it is better.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The new DSL modem they sent was provisioned for only 1.5 MB download speed. I called the ISP's Customer Service about it. They wanted to run a speed test, but I was calling from work. I told them that when I login to the modem's configuration page, it specifically shows the maximum download speed. She put me on hold and had an engineer access the modem and reprovision it for 3 MB download speed.
The speedtest.lds.org results went from about 600KB download speed with the old modem to over 900KB with the new modem. Yes, that is after the modem was configured to run at 3 MB. I think that is the best we can hope for. It is an improvement in speed, and the new DSL modem doesn't reboot itself every five minutes as the old one did.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:The speedtest.lds.org results went from about 600KB download speed with the old modem to over 900KB with the new modem.
Does your ISP offer a speed test? If so, I'd use it to check the modem. Any other speed test, including speedtest.lds.org is affected by all the "plumbing" from your ISP to the site of the speedtest. The ISP's test will tell you if you're getting the modem's rated connection. It also makes it easier to complain about the speed if their own test comes up short.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I will probably do that when I go there for ward conference next month.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”