Sunday School Teacher vs "Sunday School Teacher - Course 12"

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sasgrw

Sunday School Teacher vs "Sunday School Teacher - Course 12"

Post by sasgrw »

When using the standard calling names, there's a generic "Sunday School Teacher" and there are specific class name teachers such as "Sunday School Teacher - Course 12". We typically call an individual as a generic Sunday School Teacher so that we can later change what class they teach without releasing/re-calling them. When adding the position to the Sunday School organization, after choosing the calling name, you can specify which class they're teaching. So in the case above, I choose "Sunday School Teacher" as the position and "Course 12" for the class.

Does anyone use the specific calling names? Even if you use ""Sunday School Teacher - Course 12" you can still set the class to be "Course 15" or "Gospel Principles", which is a little weird.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Sunday School Teacher vs "Sunday School Teacher - Course

Post by aebrown »

Some of the wards in our stake do use the specific callings. The advantage with that method is that there are many places where callings are displayed without the associated class name, so using the specific calling gives helpful information in those places (an obvious example is on the Directory, showing the Sunday School organization under Ward Leaders).

Of course the downside is that there is more maintenance when a teacher is moved to a different class; there's no way to change a person's calling in MLS while keeping the sustained date intact, so you have to remove the old calling and add a new calling to the person, setting the sustained date to the original date. That is certainly a hassle, but hopefully it doesn't happen very often.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Sunday School Teacher vs "Sunday School Teacher - Course

Post by jonesrk »

sasgrw wrote: Does anyone use the specific calling names? Even if you use ""Sunday School Teacher - Course 12" you can still set the class to be "Course 15" or "Gospel Principles", which is a little weird.
I did when I was a clerk.
aebrown wrote:Of course the downside is that there is more maintenance when a teacher is moved to a different class; there's no way to change a person's calling in MLS while keeping the sustained date intact, so you have to remove the old calling and add a new calling to the person, setting the sustained date to the original date. That is certainly a hassle, but hopefully it doesn't happen very often.
I have suggested to the Clerk Resources product manager that as they add support for managing callings they provide an option to switch the calling from one type of teacher to another.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”