Privacy Settings

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
joej

Privacy Settings

Post by joej »

I am in a Bishopric. We are trying to implement the emailing system better in our ward. It appears that the privacy settings are backwards. When a member lists there email as private- leadership only, the leader resources email system leaves that person off the emails. But, in the ward directory, anyone can email the member.

Is there a way to fix this?
mevans

Re: Privacy Settings

Post by mevans »

I'd need to get my wife to log in with her LDS Account to see if I can reproduce some of this.

Meanwhile, can you tell us what country you're in? Privacy laws differ by country. We need to make sure it's not a bug in privacy law coding versus a general problem. (It's helpful if you update your profile information with your country.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joej wrote:When a member lists there email as private- leadership only, the leader resources email system leaves that person off the emails.

I think that's been noted before.

joej wrote:But, in the ward directory, anyone can email the member.
How are you determining this? If you're using your account, the directory will display people that are hidden to others. The only way to verify this is to use a "regular member's" account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joej

Post by joej »

I am using my wife's account to verify. I live in Lehi, UT.

The problem should be pretty easy to verify. Have a member of your ward leadership change their settings to private and see what your email capabilities are to them, and what their leadership resources email capabilities are.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

joej wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
joej wrote:But, in the ward directory, anyone can email the member.
How are you determining this? If you're using your account, the directory will display people that are hidden to others. The only way to verify this is to use a "regular member's" account.
The problem should be pretty easy to verify. Have a member of your ward leadership change their settings to private and see what your email capabilities are to them....
You made the claim that "anyone can email the member [who has privacy settings set to "Private - Leadership Only"]". But then in your proposed test, you say "see what your email capabilities are to them." I assume you really meant "see what a regular member's email capabilities are to them."

In any case, I have tested this with a regular member's account and can see no evidence to support your claim. For a member in our ward who has her email address set to private, another regular member account cannot see that email address in the household profile, and when an attempt is made to email all members of the Relief Society, that email address is not included. As near as I can determine, that private email address is indeed invisible in all ways to someone signed in with a regular member account.
joej wrote:Have a member of your ward leadership change their settings to private and see ... what their leadership resources email capabilities are.
Again, I don't think you are describing a valid test. The email capabilities of a member of the ward leadership will be completely unaffected by their own personal privacy settings. All that would be affected is the leadership resources email capabilities of other leaders when they try to send mail to the person (in a leadership calling or not -- it doesn't matter) with private settings.

But in any case, I think you're simply repeating the well-documented issue that the Send a Message feature of Leader and Clerk Resources only will send to members whose email addresses have Stake visibility. If you're saying there's a problem beyond that, please give more details on what you're seeing.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”