Name removal process -- administrative action

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
paulhilbig

Name removal process -- administrative action

Post by paulhilbig »

I'm interested in knowing what exactly a stake clerk and ward clerk responsibilities are when members wish to have their names removed. Specifically, what does the stake clerk do when the stake president receives the letter from SLC (cc'd to the bishop) stating so and so sent in a request for removal directly to SLC and in the letter the member waives the thirty day waiting period?

I presume it's a different process altogether when a member submits a letter or verbal request to the bishop?

I've read the HB and the instructions but I just can't get my head around what to do.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Name removal process -- administrative action

Post by russellhltn »

Well, I can't see what the stake clerk can do other then instruct the ward clerk if he has questions.

I would imagine that the ward clerk would follow the instructions for canceling a membership (found on the Duplicate membership records page), and substitute a reference to the letter received from CHQ for the "reason".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Well, I can't see what the stake clerk can do other then instruct the ward clerk if he has questions.

I would imagine that the ward clerk would follow the instructions for canceling a membership (found on the Duplicate membership records page), and substitute a reference to the letter received from CHQ for the "reason".
I don't see anything in the Handbook that would suggest the record should just be cancelled. Normally a name removal requires a Report of Administrative Action. If a simple cancellation was called for CHQ could easily do it.

I would imagine this is handled exactly as if someone had sent the letter to the Bishop and waived the 30 day wait except that instead of including the original letter the bishop/ward clerk would include the letter from CHQ. The details are in Handbook 1 6.14.

The ward clerk's responsibility would be to assist the bishop in filling out the Report (if requested). The stake clerk's only responsibility would be to send the Report on to CHQ if requested by the Stake President. That's just like it would be for a regular name removal.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I would imagine that the ward clerk would follow the instructions for canceling a membership . . .
I would imagine this is handled exactly as if someone had sent the letter to the Bishop and waived the 30 day wait except that instead of including the original letter the bishop/ward clerk would include the letter from CHQ. The details are in Handbook 1: 6.14.

The ward clerk's responsibility would be to assist the bishop in filling out the Report (if requested). The stake clerk's only responsibility would be to send the Report on to CHQ if requested by the Stake President. That's just like it would be for a regular name removal.
That is correct. Do not cancel the record. Follow the handbook procedure. It is the same as if the member requested the action and you already have the letter.

Return to “Reports and Forms”